Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Stuck in first gear (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/stuck-in-first-gear-42692.html)

eriet30 05-29-2012 11:11 AM

Stuck in first gear

I have put 3k miles on my 12 overland.

3x now i have had an issue where it will start to go and then stay in first gear. i have to shift to neutral and back then all is fine.

Anyone have this issue? Going in for an oil change to dealer so will be mentioning it

2012 Summit 05-29-2012 11:27 AM

Re: Stuck in first gear

you probably already know this, but I'll mention it just in case. When you put the gear selector into the drive position, you will get first gear if you shift the lever to the left once it's in drive. By doing this you will only get first gear. You can choose your highest gear by shifting the selector to the right.

eriet30 05-29-2012 11:30 AM

Duh nope no where did i know this ...

Now i have stupid on my face

Ricko 05-29-2012 11:55 AM

you can also hold the shifter either to the left or right (forgot which side) and it will then it will go from what ever gear your in back into D

SixZeroFour 05-29-2012 01:09 PM

^ Yup, if you hold the shifter to the right it will jump back into D mode.

BobsWK2 05-29-2012 07:04 PM

Also when going down a long hill, you can just hold the shifter to the left, and the trans will downshift to the lowest gear possible without over reving the engine and this usually will keep you from constantly applying the brakes to slow the vehicle down.

AAAA 05-29-2012 07:07 PM

Tapping the shifter will change gears up or down. There is a faint + and - on the coverplate near where the shifter is when in drive. These are to remind you which way to tap for shifting up and down when in the "manual" mode.

eriet30 06-01-2012 09:19 AM

Not feeling "as stupid"..... although the shifter works as you say my info center only has the "D" it doesnt do the 1,2 etc.

Dealer is scratching his head and is going to research before attempting anything.

Thanks for the replies i wish i had known about the down hill thing a few weeks ago.... for not knowing that i am still feeling stupid.

2012 Summit 06-01-2012 11:19 AM

Let us know what you find out. Thanks, Joe

mjlemon 06-13-2014 12:33 PM

I have a 2011 Overland with 52,000 miles. When I shift from Park into Drive the car automatically takes itself out of Drive and into manual 4th and stays stuck in 4th. The shifter will not work to change back to automatic. Stuck in 4th gear all the time except park or reverse after accellerating from a stop.

StaticFX 06-13-2014 02:36 PM

Thats called limp mode. Could be a PCM issue... gotta get it to the dealer.

mjlemon 06-13-2014 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for responding. It's back to the dealer for the second time now, and they have no idea what it could be after putting in a new TIPM Module and checking the fluid levels. I think it could be a defective shift module but I don't know enough about cars to say. Anyway, when it is shifted from Park to Drive it will go into "D" sometimes, but then when accelerating out of a stop it spontaneously shifts into "4" by itself and won't come out of "4", even if you shift the stick left and right or into neutral. I've owned 5 jeeps since college and this has really tested my loyalty; it may be time to switch to another brand for me. It's a dangerous problem, and it bothers me that I paid for a brand new TIPM Module which did nothing to solve the problem. My older jeeps were more reliable. A video is attached as FYI.