Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   another trany problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/another-trany-problem-42844.html)

jdmhvac3 06-02-2012 06:36 PM

another trany problem

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2000 WJ.http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/thumbs.gif I,m having issuues with the trans, feels like its stuck in 3rd, no noticable shifting but manualy moving the selector does work. had a "p1698" code (no com between tcm and ecm) I reseated all plugs (at the trans and tcm/ecm) checked grounds, found all apearing ok. Then i reset code by disconecting neg bat cable (probably messing up by doing that) code was gone but drive abilty still there, by the way forgot to mention new engine install (er used) any ideas what i might have missed or where to go from here. any help would be apreceated,

thanks Jim

Frango100 06-03-2012 07:58 AM

Re: another trany problem

Did you check the wire bundles in the engine bay? No wire damage?
Also when you removed the connectors from TCM and PCM, did you check for bend pins or pushed back connectors?
Did the jeep run fine after the engine change, or was it acting up from the beginning?

jdmhvac3 06-03-2012 10:31 AM

after unpluging and removing everything on the passenger side of the engine compartment, i found a coated ground strap hanging from behind the PCM. i conected that to the mounting/ holddown stud for the 3rd coil.
Inspected the loom and the plugs for damage and corrosion,found none. reinstalled everything, pluged in the harness (after coating with dielectric grease) test drove and the same thing limp mode. :confused:

going to pick up a used TCM at the scrap yard this morn. i hate just parts changing, but until my repair manuals show up this is all i can do.

Frango100 06-03-2012 10:39 AM

But did the jeep drive ok after the engine change? Was only the engine changed, or the PCM as well?
Did you check all fuses, in particular fuse 5 (30A) in the PDC?
Regarding the ground strap, there should be a ground strap under the holddown stud for coil #7 and #8 (both most aft coils)

jdmhvac3 06-03-2012 12:02 PM

welp no TCM at the yard.

Only engine was changed checked intake part # against # on wj jeeps.com, correct part for year.

will check fuse after post.

swapped relays.

and yes the uncovered braided strap was connected, firewall to 7 and 8 on both sides.

fuse is ok.

what else am i missing?

Frango100 06-03-2012 04:46 PM

But did the jeep run well after the engine change?

jdmhvac3 06-03-2012 05:12 PM

change was done before i bought it. I was told it ran ok after the change. yes i bought it knowing there was a problem. sorry for not answering that question the first time. :(

Frango100 06-03-2012 05:49 PM

You said you swapped relays, was that the transmission control relay in the PDC?
Also fuse 28 (15A), in PDC should be checked. If ok, i think you will have to start measuring voltage to see if the TCM power feed is ok. Tomorrow i can send you some wiring diagrams to aid in trouble shooting.

jdmhvac3 06-04-2012 05:02 AM

yes the relay in the PDC. i will check the fuse,

thank you for your help.

Frango100 06-04-2012 09:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
In case you want to measure the wiring, attached some wiring schematics.

jdmhvac3 06-04-2012 08:34 PM

thanks for the diagrams

jdmhvac3 06-08-2012 09:33 PM

Hey all thanks for the help found the problem, the idots that installed the motor not only didn't install the back Grounds but it apears that if it wasn't plugable it wasn't connected.:mad: :wtf: I found the the 4 ground wires that go to the front of the engine just stuffed behind the motor mount. connected them and trany is working like a champ. :D