Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Step in/Seat Height: WK vs. WK2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/step-in-seat-height-wk-vs-wk2-42868.html)

ColoradoJeep 06-03-2012 09:48 AM

Step in/Seat Height: WK vs. WK2?

My wife is short (5'4') and says that the new 2012 GC Ltd is much harder hard for her to get in than our 2005 WK GC Laredo. I thought it might be the 20" rims, but another JG thread said that the difference in outside tire diameter between 17" and 20" tires is negligible, so the ride height should be the same. My 2012 WK2 Ltd (no QuadraLift) measures 22 inches high (from level ground) to the step in sill, and 32" to the forward edge of the seat. Does someone also still have a WK (no longer have mine to measure) and can measure the 2 dimensions? Thanks.

padgett 06-03-2012 11:43 AM

Re: Step in/Seat Height: WK vs. WK2?

My Laredo measures 18" to the sill plate (stainless "Grand Cherokee) and 33" to the leading edge of the (manual) passenger seat.

Even with the "oval side rail/step" my height-impaired frequent passenger has difficulty clambering on. I am seriously thinking about lowering my Laredo 2-4". Does anyone know of a kit ?

ColdCase 06-03-2012 01:43 PM

I hear the "rock rails" or "nerf bars" serve as a decent step to aid entry/exit.

Joe Ayala 06-03-2012 02:13 PM

Electric side steps would be nice for her :)

Scottina06 06-03-2012 02:13 PM

I have a WK and a Durango...but my WK is severely lowered. Sorry I cant help

padgett 06-03-2012 02:49 PM

I agree, the side rails are wonderful if you have a size 5 foot. You also need a grab handle on the dash (working on that), the one in the ceiling is unusable (over two feet further off the ground than the roof of a GT-40 Ford and you need to fold your off hand backwards to use it). I suspect someone just said "we need handles" without stating that they had to be reachable by a human. Sometimes I really wonder if anyone at C-J-F can speel "ergonomics".

http://padgett.performanceresearch.u.../sill&rail.jpg

Lingohocken 06-03-2012 11:27 PM

Wife, a foot shorter than me, feels the same way about the WK2 as compared to her former '94 Limited. We got QL mainly for snow (we never plow our drive), but she insists on dropping the rig into the Park setting each and every time. I've gotten so used to it I do it myself just to keep habituated for when she's on board.

I thought that might be why our QL compressor crapped out after 11k miles, but the tech said it was corroded.

madGC 06-04-2012 07:24 AM

Funny thread, my wife was just saying the same thing yesterday. She had a 2010 Laredo before and loves this jeep; her only complaint is the height. My solution, ordering a set of Eibachs for mine and will let her drive it; if she likes it, we'll be getting a second set.

JTS97Z28 06-04-2012 08:32 AM

Sounds like the ladies needed QL. I use park mode from time to time and it feels like im getting in and out of a car almost :-) Plus it looks bad ass lowered when its parked!

madGC 06-04-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 638699)
Sounds like the ladies needed QL. I use park mode from time to time and it feels like im getting in and out of a car almost :-) Plus it looks bad ass lowered when its parked!

100% agreed. Nice C6, just got rid of mine about 2 weeks ago.....I miss the LS3.

ColoradoJeep 06-04-2012 09:25 AM

I would have ordered the Overland with QL, but after reading about all the problems, decided on the LTD. Should have gone with the Overland for the "Park Height" but never occurred to me that the WK2 was much higher. This issue keeps my wife from loving the 2012.

eibyer 06-04-2012 10:13 AM

Just have the ladies do some arm strengthening and that will solve the issue. Then again, it is probably easier to get the steps or the QL than get them to do that. ;)