Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Help with Diagnosis (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/help-with-diagnosis-42901.html)

swing4terps 06-03-2012 04:39 PM

Help with Diagnosis

Had a couple weird things happen to the car today. Been doing some suspension work lately and then took it to Firestone for an alignment earlier today (where they left my left caster out of spec because a bolt was "locked") but anyway, I don't think any of this has to do with my potential problem.

This morning I went to back out of the driveway and put my car in reverse. Driveway slopes downward when exiting so it rolled back a little then stopped. So I gave it a little gas and nothing, almost like I had something behind the car prohibiting it from moving. So I gave it some more gas and was met with a huge clunk that jolted the entire car. Put it in reverse again a got a lighter yet very noticeable clunk with a little grinding.

Note: I do not have the clunk when shifting that would indicate the front diff bushings going bad.

Drove the car about 40 miles and didn't notice any issues.

Then took it out again and was driving on a flat portion of road at 50mph and got a clunk/thump like I ran over a small tree branch followed by 2-3 secs of a sound like I had flat tire. Decided to turn around and just head home and noticed a light whistle/whine from the rear end.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

inferno red wk 06-03-2012 09:05 PM

Re: Help with Diagnosis

i had a very similar issue. my rear diff locked up and well would not move when giving it gas

swing4terps 06-04-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inferno red wk (Post 638476)
i had a very similar issue. my rear diff locked up and well would not move when giving it gas

what would one do about this?

inferno red wk 06-04-2012 10:04 PM

well if that is the case. it is the u joint in your axel right that the diff. so thats a sealed u joint you would have to go to the dealer. im still waiting on mine national back order

Escape 06-04-2012 10:49 PM

No problems before the alignment?

I'd check all their work and make sure your bolts are all tight. If all is good with their work. When was the last service on the diffs and t-case? To do a front end align on the Jeep you must loosen the rear engine cradle bolts along with the lower front A-arm bolts.

Have you checked your trans fluid? Is it dark or burnt? The not moving when in gear on a slope sounds like the fluid drained out of the converter and it took it a minute to get pressure. The clunk is something loose or drive line slop being removed violently. This could also be a valve body/filter/solenoid issue.

swing4terps 06-05-2012 06:11 AM

The initial jolt was when I was getting in the car to get the alignment, so I don't think that's it.

It almost was like my parking brake was still engaged even though I'm positive I released the lever.

Had a tranny change at the dealer 5k miles ago. I checked the fluid and level and they are good. I still have the old filter in there that leads to the delay when going to reverse, but I've never gotten the jolt before.

Did the TC and diffs myself 7k miles ago. Didn't pull the rear diff cover. Would it be advantageous to change again and pull the cover this time? BTW QTII does not require the additive, correct? What's the role of the TC here? I thought that was mainly engaged when going between Lo/Hi.

I'll add that I did not notice any reverse clunks or other noises when driving about 70 miles yesterday.

kennzz05 06-06-2012 07:26 AM

sounds like t/c binding perhaps the chain in the case getting loose dont think id be driving it very far without knowing. pull the diff cover if its the cause im sure it will be obvious, lots of metal or possibly pieces. if its the t/c not sure but maybe you can figure it out by pulling the front driveshaft

Relwarc 06-06-2012 07:35 AM

hey Swing, where in Baltimore are you? I'm up in the Hunt Valley area. Maybe you can come up to the Dark Side and we can toss it on a lift and see what we can see. I have some experience with my 2007 Laredo.

That... and I miss lifted WK's...... ha!.... wait, is it lifted? is that what the suspension work you mentioned is?

Hope you can get it taken care of without significant expense...

swing4terps 06-06-2012 04:57 PM

Relwarc I might have to take you up on that. I'm in Kingsville. My brother is Tim (TKirkUMD). I think you've met him a few times.

My Jeep is not lifted. I was just replacing a UCA that had some squeeky bushings.

Been getting a bunch a noises lately but none of them consistent. I know I'm not hearing things; I have to believe whatever is wrong is just coincidence that it happened the same time I did some suspension work/got an alignment.

I wouldn't really know what I'm looking at as I'm not too saavy when it comes to the mechanical workings of cars, so an extra set of eyes would probably be helpful. Shoot me a PM.

swing4terps 06-10-2012 08:43 PM

Pretty consistent for the last week now...

When shifting from P to R (foot on the brake) I get a moan accompanied by what I would describe as body roll. It almost as if a wave is passing under my car moving left to right.

This is after the huge jolt I got last week. Never had the moan/roll prior.

phox 06-12-2012 10:44 PM

if you all want another set of eyes on it, I'll grab a few beers and join you from annapolis! although admittedly I don't have too much experience with differential issues.