Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   TPMS strangness (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/tpms-strangness-42908.html)

K9jackie 06-03-2012 06:17 PM

TPMS strangness

One of my tires was punctured recently and the TMS did warn me. However, when the roadside service was there, he checked the other tires and they were at about 20PSi while the tire pressure monitoring system said they were 34. Anyone else encounter this? I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow.:confused:

Red G8R 06-03-2012 07:29 PM

Re: TPMS strangness

Maybe his gauge was wrong.

dubwarren 06-03-2012 08:05 PM

I'd think you'd notice driving around on 20 psi. To say the least. I think the guys gauge was broken.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

drwaldo69 06-04-2012 08:54 AM

The TPMS system is flawed. Mine registered proper pressures when in fact the fuse was blown and it wasn't working. A while back my fuel release door quit working. Jeep doesn't list anywhere the fuse for it. Trust me, I searched long and hard for it. Took my Jeep in, they told me I need a new fuel door realease actuator. While there, I had them change the oil and rotate the tires.

Picked up my Jeep and the TPMS didn't work. Had an erroe code. Hadn't even left the service area yet. They took it back in the shop and 35 minutes later, told me that inexplicably that the TPMS "was offline" and I needed a new module for that as well.
This whole time I asked them to check fuses and the service advisor acted like I was stupid. Come to find out both the fuel door and TPMS are on the same fuse. When I got home I looked up the TPMS fuse, which Jeep DOES list, changed it and they both started working. The fuse had been blown for literally 3 months.It only listed an error when they took off my tires and rotated them for service. Moral of the story: check you tire pressures yourself once in a while.

JRNYC 06-04-2012 09:09 AM

I am going through this exact dilemna right now as well. My TPMS said 37 from the dealer at cold tire presuure.

Long story short.. I had a gauge which I believed to be accurate but now Im not sure since the difference between the TPMS and my gauge was like 4 pounds! And even when I topped off all tires at 32 pounds on the same gauge, the tpms sinsors where out of sync with each other. One read like 2 pounds higher and the other 1 pound higher.

I bought 2 more gauges from pep boys. One digital the other a cheapy dial one for 8 bucks. They are all different.

I have been looking at tire gauges on line to see which are the better ones.

I will going for either a higher end Mopar or a Joes Racing Liquid filled gauge. Garanteed to be accurate to like .2 pounds or something like this as soon as $ permit.