Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Cleaning the Jeep after offroading? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/cleaning-the-jeep-after-offroading-42919.html)

JeepMonster 06-03-2012 09:17 PM

Cleaning the Jeep after offroading?

Did some offroading last weekend which included going through some puddles. I cleaned all the mud off the body and sprayed underneath with the hose but I opened the hood today and saw some mud made its way up near the engine (mostly near the bottom plastic plate). Was wondering if I need to worry about this and if I should clean the engine as well as do a more detailed job under the WK2. I figured driving through the rain would take care of the undercarriage but this was my first time 4wheeling.

Also, I cleaned off the wheels with the hose as well but I shouldn't need to take the wheels off or anything should I? The picture in my signature is from this past weekend to give you an idea of the worst of the conditions I went through.

Scottina06 06-03-2012 10:43 PM

Re: Cleaning the Jeep after offroading?

if you plan on wheelin' often I would invest in a power washer

JeepMonster 06-04-2012 04:23 AM

This was probably one of the few times ill be wheeling since there aren't many spots around me. Just wanted to see how the WK2 would handle off road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 638548)
if you plan on wheelin' often I would invest in a power washer

savvas 06-04-2012 04:35 AM

Mud in the engine bay is a badge of honour!

Generally it's nothing to worry about, but you need to be aware of mud in bearings and clutch plates in air con compressor, and also the alternator.

JeepMonster 06-04-2012 06:38 AM

How would I check for things like that and if there was mud in those spots would I be able to tell just by driving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 638646)
Mud in the engine bay is a badge of honour!

Generally it's nothing to worry about, but you need to be aware of mud in bearings and clutch plates in air con compressor, and also the alternator.

77rednecktruck 06-04-2012 06:45 AM

What is this washing thing you guys are talking about??? :)

Jeeps should come from the factory with mud on them.

I will run my jeep through the local drive through at the gas station after wheeling but rain usually does the rest of the washing for me.

webspoke 06-04-2012 01:30 PM

Mine collected a good bit of mud between the skidplates and the front diff, and in lots of nooks and crannies around the front wheel wells, caked the fabric wheel well liners, inside the rear bumper etc. Took a couple of car wash trips to get most of it. Rain on the road had minimal effect for me.

bit50 06-04-2012 08:13 PM

It's not a big deal. However, always clean mud off immediately. I used to go hit some serious mud with my f150 and took my time cleaning it and it led to some surface rust in some areas. I love wheelin in the mud but the hours of cleaning the undercarriage is never worth it. I've driven home with an easy couple hundred pounds of mud stuck to the undercarriage It's kind of like cheating on a girlfriend. It's fun while it lasts but never worth the after math :D My WK2 will never see a mud pit.

JeepMonster 06-04-2012 10:44 PM

I plan on taking it to a self service car wash where I can spray some soap on the bottom and then rinse or take it to a touch less car wash. I got most of the mud off after I was done but there are still some mud stain areas underneath as well as the spots on the engine bay side of the plastic tray.

Also, I've seen people mention covering the PCM before hosing off the engine, is that just the fuse box under the hood?

fljeepleo 06-05-2012 09:02 AM

Be careful spraying the engine. A lot of electrical parts you don't want to go blasting water into.

77rednecktruck 06-06-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljeepleo (Post 639200)
Be careful spraying the engine. A lot of electrical parts you don't want to go blasting water into.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are using a pressure washer. Splashing in some puddles or running a regular garden hose over the engine won't do anything to the electrical parts of an engine.

1200RT-P 06-06-2012 02:40 PM

I normally take mine to a do it yourself type power wash place and give it a nice once over with a power washer, then drive immediately to my go-to car wash for a normal wash.