Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   WK 2005 Limited 5.7 Intermittent no start-Possibilities please? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/wk-2005-limited-5-7-intermittent-no-start-possibilities-please-42936.html)

oldgeezer 06-04-2012 07:46 AM

WK 2005 Limited 5.7 Intermittent no start-Possibilities please?

2005 Limited has 88K miles and now has a problem where it randomly will not start. Dash illuminates when key is turned but starter does not try to engage,etc. Leave Jeep for a period of time and then it will start. Most other times it will start right away. Jeep is wife's and I do want her to be stranded with my grandsons. My thoughts of possibilities are/is starter,neutral safety switch,ignition switch or even factory alarm? Have two keys and both would not start the vehicle when failed. This is a tough gremlin. Any ideas where to start? Thanks for any insight.

burtonboards148 06-04-2012 10:32 AM

Re: WK 2005 Limited 5.7 Intermittent no start-Possibilities please?

I have a 05 3.7 with 84K miles a new starter at 60K with a flawless service record and have had the exact same issue. After countless hours of research and phones call to mechanics/jeep recall center I found next to nothing....
Some responses I got were: dead spot in starter (but it's new....), spark plugs (also new), faulty/lose fuse in fuse box under the hood, lose/corroded wires under fuse box.

I ended up taking it to the stealership last week after it happened again. I had them do a full inspection. They discounted all of the above symptoms and found nothing else, except they 're adjusted' my negative battery terminal. With such a lame outcome I managed to get outta there only getting charged for 1/2 hr in the shop. However my baby is starting every time now and if it goes wrong it's on the dealership...

I hope this helps, I know its not much, but I know how frustrating it can be....

2005JGC 06-04-2012 12:09 PM

Starters are VERY common problems on the 5.7l Ultimately they are in a position where it is very difficult to clean contacts. I say this because if you do it yourself you would probably just want to throw a new starter into it AND clean the contacts while its out than tear it all down just to clean contacts and not fix the problem.

jrjeep 06-04-2012 10:38 PM

If you still have your factory battery in your jeep..

START THERE.!!!

I had to learn that the bad way..After 65k they seem to give out.

oldgeezer 06-05-2012 01:34 PM

Update. Battery load tested well. All battery connections clean and tight. Amperage test passed on starter. Based on all I have read, I am biting the bullet and having the starter replaced. Will have connectors checked/cleaned and hopefully, my wife will not end up stranded. Just playing the higher probability of fault cause. Time will tell if problem is solved. Will keep all posted. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

brentwoodkris 06-07-2012 04:05 PM

I paid $200 to have a block heater installed and it required removal of the starter (I wanted the block heater and I knew I could fix my starter issue if they had to remove it and clean the contacts). They cleaned the contacts and reinstalled and I've never had the issue on my HEMI GC since (been 1yr).