Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Torque "non snip" mod (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/torque-non-snip-mod-43013.html)

scjeep4.7HO 06-05-2012 06:10 PM

99-04 WJ Torque "non snip" mod

4 Attachment(s)
I decided today to do the torque delete mod, but instead of cutting the wire I wanted to remove the wire from the plug so that I could just re-insert the wire back into the plug when I wanted to and it was exactly like it was.

All you have to do is take a 8mm socket and remove the plug from the TCM.

Then you press up on the 4 clips to remove the wire cover to expose the wires.

Then you locate the #10 wire (every wire has a number) but if you look at the male part of the plug with the threads of the bolt visible it's next to the bolt (on the bottom row the way I had mine situated)

You have to carefully pry up the red wire terminal retainer clip so that you can use a very thin screw driver and gently pity up on the small black clip that hold that particular write in place then you just gently push it out.

To reinstall you just press it in same way it came out, and it is exactly like nothing ever happened.
I heat shrinked mine too keep it from contacting anything else under the plug cover.

Here are a few pictures.

HTC Thunderbolt 2

Martyp 06-06-2012 09:11 AM

Re: Torque "non snip" mod

Nice Richie.

I was intending to remove it from mine that way too however, due to access restraints with the TCM / PCM / EVAP canister etc. I struggled even snipping the wire so done it the ghetto way.

Pulling the pin from the connector is definitely the way to do it properly though! :thumbsup:

Antonio186 06-06-2012 10:02 AM

def the way to go. thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Gtx15 06-06-2012 11:08 AM

So what does this actually do for our WJ's? Cause it's seems like any enough mod to do!

scjeep4.7HO 06-06-2012 12:03 PM

It basically turns off torque management so too speak from a dead stop and shifts @ WOT.

HTC Thunderbolt 2

Gtx15 06-06-2012 12:16 PM

Any side effects to jeep? Tranny,engine?

scjeep4.7HO 06-06-2012 12:27 PM

It removes the safety of being easier on the Tranny during shifts under wide open throttle conditions but unless you do it all the time I don't think it's gonna be a big deal.

HTC Thunderbolt 2

FlyinRyan 06-06-2012 01:21 PM

The snip allows for the wire that sends the command to retard ignition timing during shifts made under aggressive throttle/WOT to not send the signal. The command is still there, it's just not able to talk to the TCM in doing so.

scjeep4.7HO 06-09-2012 07:01 PM

I saw another thread about torque snip and couldn't find it so I thought I should bump this to help keep someone from possibly hacking into their harness if possible.

HTC Thunderbolt 2

dudefromflorida 10-24-2012 01:29 PM

That is a smart way too. I did it this way....http://www.jeepgarage.org/f75/tcm-10...tch-47760.html, so i could still hook everything back up if i decided it was dumb or if ill effects started.

Good idea on just pushing the connector out. :thumbsup:

TJXJWJ 10-24-2012 02:07 PM

Dammit....wish I would have thought of that. I went the ghetto route and cut it, but installed an inline switch. I'll put it all back one day when I'm bored though. The superchips has firmed up the shifts very well.

As far as damage goes, you'll be fine. It's only going to "do something" when you're REALLY on the pedal from a dead stop. If you drive like that normally you're probably doing greater damage then what this snip does. I did it, tested it, was very pleasantly surprised, and have only maybe hit it that hard 2-3 times since the snip, which was about a year ago. All those times was on an on-ramp too. I love me some on-ramps in the HO. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA----BRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....boom 80mph.

scjeep4.7HO 10-24-2012 02:19 PM

Good deal guys. Unfortunately I don't get to test mine very much.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2