Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   pentastar tick (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/pentastar-tick-43023.html)

jp467 06-05-2012 10:48 PM

pentastar tick

I have heard others talk about the pentastar tick and having the head on the drivers side replaced to correct it. It seems to me that all the pentastars have a tick so I am assuming the tick must be real loud with the problem engines? I know over on the wrangler forums there is alot more talk about this but I was just wondering what other thought on this. From what I understand if you really have the issue the cel light will also come on. I guess I'm just wondering whats the difference between the good tick and the bad?

JTS97Z28 06-05-2012 11:29 PM

Re: pentastar tick

Can you describe the tick with a little more detail? I have a 2012 Overland with the V6 and I do notice with the windows down it has a slightly unique engine sound to it, but I dont think I would call it a tick. Is the tick supposed to be very obvious?

Kilzyo 06-06-2012 05:53 AM

2012 GC v6. Can't tell you about the good tick because I don't have have it. Bad tick is very noticeable standing up to 20 feet away from the vehicle. You will also be able to hear it if you drive with the windows down as pass by a structure (wall, etc) where the noise bounces off of. I noticed tick the day I got home from dealer... CEL popped about 2 months later. Vehicle is now in the shop getting left head replaced. Just go with your gut--if you feel it's not normal, it probably isn't.

Jdsmitty10 06-06-2012 06:34 AM

I don't know if I have this or not but I do know the engine is noisy with the windows open especially passing buildings or in the garage.. But when outside the vehicle when mine is running it doesn't sound loud or ticky.. Kinda wierd..

jp467 06-06-2012 09:42 PM

I agree with what everyone said. I think mine is probably normal from listening to other pentastars but I do think it is kind of a noisy engine unload with the windows open.

BManz 06-07-2012 12:59 PM

The Pentastar should have just a bit of valvetrain noise typical of OHC engines, but it'd be a muted noise like a half dozen sewing machines whirring away. If there's a very audible tick, I mean really loud tick, that isn't normal. Some Pentastars built in Mexico are affected by a manufacturing error where some heads weren't fully cleaned of machining or casting debris and that debris affects the cooling passages in the affected head. Probably due to a new/tired/lazy worker for a particular shift.

After a few hundred or few thousand miles, the cooling-passage-affected head gets too hot (may or may not throw a CEL code) and warps. The warpage leads to loud clickity-clackity noise developing. If there's no code thrown, a dealer tech just says it's fuel injected and OHC and the usual "they all do that" diagnosis that we love to hear. A head replacement is the fix, and I would expect a good tech to thoroughly flush the cooling system too to ensure any lingering debris doesn't go back to plugging up any other cooling passages.

FutureJGC 06-07-2012 05:51 PM

Could it also be the gas you guys are putting in? Try using a higher grade.

jp467 06-07-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BManz (Post 640223)
The Pentastar should have just a bit of valvetrain noise typical of OHC engines, but it'd be a muted noise like a half dozen sewing machines whirring away. If there's a very audible tick, I mean really loud tick, that isn't normal. Some Pentastars built in Mexico are affected by a manufacturing error where some heads weren't fully cleaned of machining or casting debris and that debris affects the cooling passages in the affected head. Probably due to a new/tired/lazy worker for a particular shift.

After a few hundred or few thousand miles, the cooling-passage-affected head gets too hot (may or may not throw a CEL code) and warps. The warpage leads to loud clickity-clackity noise developing. If there's no code thrown, a dealer tech just says it's fuel injected and OHC and the usual "they all do that" diagnosis that we love to hear. A head replacement is the fix, and I would expect a good tech to thoroughly flush the cooling system too to ensure any lingering debris doesn't go back to plugging up any other cooling passages.

This is not true. This issue is big on the Wrangler forum's and all Wrangler Pentastars are made in Michigan

Kilzyo 06-07-2012 06:59 PM

Just got my 2012 GC back from service after a left head replacement for the bad tick. I can tell you with certainty that the loud tick is gone after the head replacement. There is now a much softer engine noise that, after reading many of these forums, could be confused with bad tick but it's not...it's normal engine noise. If you have the bad tick, it's VERY, VERY noticeable...like a needle tapping on a empty aluminum can extremely amplified. If you just hear a faint ticking noise, it's probably normal. Your vehicle with throw a code eventually if you have the bad tick.

Bmwister 06-07-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 640359)
This is not true. This issue is big on the Wrangler forum's and all Wrangler Pentastars are made in Michigan

BManz is partially correct. The Pentastar engine is built in both the USA and Mexico and there are vehicles made with engines sourced from either place including the Wrangler line. The initial problem was traced to a batch of engines sourced from the Mexico facility, but the same problems have also been found in engines from the USA plant if the owner reports are accurate. Cooling passage restriction has been named but I suspect that may only be a partial reason.

There could be a defective casting (process or metallurgy issue), improper prep of the head, or combination of both that could lead to head warpage issues. The Pentastar is a solid design but with new manufacturing processes in this new OHC design there are more chances for QA process deficiencies in the rush to meet demand. That is of course why manufacturers have warranties.

From my engineering sources in the auto industry who remain rather tight-lipped about this issue, it is certainly a "manufacturing defect" problem. Perhaps it could be occasional improper head bolt torque when assembling the long block? Mentioning the Wrangler, this is their first OHC engine aside from the 2.4 DOHC 4cyl in the TJ's SE line; most TJs had the 4.0L I6. The Wrangler customer base is fussy and certainly there will be people overreacting to the "strange noise" this new compact V6 makes and then think they have a ticking problem. For Pentastars with the real issue, it is a very loud, pronounced, hard hitting tick.

jp467 06-07-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 640462)
BManz is partially correct. The Pentastar engine is built in both the USA and Mexico and there are vehicles made with engines sourced from either place including the Wrangler line. The initial problem was traced to a batch of engines sourced from the Mexico facility, but the same problems have also been found in engines from the USA plant if the owner reports are accurate. Cooling passage restriction has been named but I suspect that may only be a partial reason.

There could be a defective casting (process or metallurgy issue), improper prep of the head, or combination of both that could lead to head warpage issues. The Pentastar is a solid design but with new manufacturing processes in this new OHC design there are more chances for QA process deficiencies in the rush to meet demand. That is of course why manufacturers have warranties.

From my engineering sources in the auto industry who remain rather tight-lipped about this issue, it is certainly a "manufacturing defect" problem. Perhaps it could be occasional improper head bolt torque when assembling the long block? Mentioning the Wrangler, this is their first OHC engine aside from the 2.4 DOHC 4cyl in the TJ's SE line; most TJs had the 4.0L I6. The Wrangler customer base is fussy and certainly there will be people overreacting to the "strange noise" this new compact V6 makes and then think they have a ticking problem. For Pentastars with the real issue, it is a very loud, pronounced, hard hitting tick.

I think that the problem that is being referred to from the Mexico plant was the block not being properly flushed which led to a recall of 2 or 3 weeks of production. That was a different issue which could cause main bearing failure. This problem with the heads I think has been from both plants from what I understand. I do know its talked about more on the Wrangler forums and all the engines are from the us plantin that vehicle. Whatever the case if its not a design problem than its a quality control problem. In either case hopefully its already been corrected as chrysler is putting this engine in many different vehicles.

jstref 09-09-2012 12:53 AM

I have a 2011 gc with a build date of 6/2010. Has anyone heard of any early builds having this head problem?