Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   5.7 guys opinions needed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/5-7-guys-opinions-needed-43032.html)

JRNYC 06-06-2012 09:31 AM

5.7 guys opinions needed

I have the 3.6 OS. A lovely feeling engine for what it is and the weight vehicle it is in. That being said, I am hoping to swap the vehicle under Lemon Law within the next 6 months.

How do you like the 5.7?
What dont you like about the 5.7?
Do you think the hit on gas mileage is a big factor between the 6 and 8?

steveo 06-06-2012 11:40 AM

You're not new here with 101 posts. How could you miss the V6 / V8 discussion in the engine,intake, exhaust sub-forum? All the info you need is there.

JeepMaster 06-06-2012 11:53 AM

Re: 5.7 guys opinions needed

Personally i love the 5.7 feels good and sounds nice. Gas is ok in my opinion as long as keep your eyes off the gas gauge.

JRNYC 06-06-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo (Post 639710)
You're not new here with 101 posts. How could you miss the V6 / V8 discussion in the engine,intake, exhaust sub-forum? All the info you need is there.

Oh right! Captain Obvious! :slapfight:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMaster (Post 639716)
Personally i love the 5.7 feels good and sounds nice. Gas is ok in my opinion as long as keep your eyes off the gas gauge.

Thanks for that input. :thumbsup: Do you have the 5.7 tick that many others have from the engine?

Snipe315 06-06-2012 01:20 PM

I love the power and fell of the 5.7L Hemi.

However, it is louder and more intrusive than the V8 my 2005 4Runner had. The 4Runner V8 sounded GREAT under heavy acceleration but was very quiet during normal stop & go driving. The 5.7L Hemi V8 by comparision is far more intrusive in regular stop & go driving.

The 4Runner V8 also had a deeper rumble or growl than the 5.7L Hemi.

And finally, the 5.7L Hemi specifically and the WK2 in general SUCKS for downshifting. That Hemi growl turns into a high pitched whine when I try to use engine power for braking. Something about the rev matching feature I think. My 4Runner sounded AWESOME when I downshifted. And it actually SLOWED DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY when dropped intop 3rd or 2nd gear (unlike the WK2 that doesn't really start to slow down unless I drop it into 1st gear).

JRNYC 06-06-2012 01:34 PM

Thanks! My V6 is similiar on downshifting. it doesnt drag the vehicle and gives a higher rpm feel.

amill 06-06-2012 02:07 PM

I'm happy with the V8. I have a short commute that is about 3-4 miles each way with about 5-6 stop lights between work and home. I am averaging around 16mpg overall on each tank. The v6 would do better, but I like the low end power of the v8.

As far as the downshifting, I haven't noticed the engine downshifting while slowing down. I'm guessing the above poster uses the "auto stick" feature, which imo is dumb on any SUV, unless it's a sport model. While on the topic of shifting, I do find that the automatic does take time to find a gear when you want accelerate from 30-40mph to 60mph quickly. However, I've driven a few Chrysler products recently and noticed that most of them do this. So I don't think it's just a V8 behavior.

Compared to other V8 SUV's I've driven this is pretty quiet. I can hear a Yukon/Escalade/Tahoe idling infront of me while at a light. It's louder when you get on it, but it doesn't have a terrible sound.

dizz1979 06-06-2012 02:09 PM

This is my second Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited. It is by far the most refined Jeep to date. No comparison to my 05. This is much quieter and the transmission is sooo much smoother. I don't know how anyone could complain aboit the noise, you can barely hear it.

Brewster 06-06-2012 06:42 PM

In four months I have owned both. I bought a Limited last December with the V6. I traded it for the Hemi in April. I thought the V6 had plenty of power on my test drives. In most cases it does, and is a very smooth and quiet engine. In stop and go traffic I just experienced some lulls that the engine wouldn't get out of. I thinks it's more transmission than lack of power.

So buyers remorse, I traded for the same JGC just with the Hemi. It has a nice growl when cranked up, but it surprisingly quiet at constant speed. Is it a Hemi "beast". I can't say that. The difference for me is more in the torque. It has the ability to pull through and not have those lulls.

I have even mixed highway and city driving for a commute. I was getting 19.7 with the V6, I'm getting 16.7 with the Hemi.

Overall, it was a good switch. Both engines are good and are completely different.

FAUEE 06-06-2012 06:56 PM

I have the V8, was open to either engine but got a better deal on a V8. Frankly, I'm happy that it worked out that way, the v6 was fine, but it doesn't seem much more efficient and IMO it felt like it barely had enough power to move the GC. In fairness, I was looking at 4x4 Overlands, so it had extra loss and heft to deal with, lower and thus lighter end vehicles may be better about this.

Gas mileage for me wasn't a huge deal. I don't drive very much, so it isn't a huge sticking point for me. I tend to get about 15 city, and 22-23 highway, but a lot of it depends on driving style and terrain (ie, going up the hills or down the hills - I've learned to basically coast over hills and it helps mileage a lot, but you do lose some speed, but hey I'm in no rush).

I find the Hemi to be very quiet, and very smooth. You get a little burble and grunt, but its not excessive. Idle is smooth and silent on 89, on 87 it's slightly worse on NVH, but still barely perceptible. I don't engine brake, so I can't comment on that, IME it's cheaper to replace brake pads than to replace transmissions so I use the brakes. As I understand, in snowy/ice conditions this is not always preferred.

Overall, I'm very happy with the V8. The extra cost for the V8 and gas isn't a huge deal, this was an expensive truck to begin with. If there's anything I would have wanted instead it would have been a diesel.

JRNYC 06-06-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amill (Post 639757)
I'm happy with the V8. I have a short commute that is about 3-4 miles each way with about 5-6 stop lights between work and home. I am averaging around 16mpg overall on each tank. The v6 would do better, but I like the low end power of the v8.

As far as the downshifting, I haven't noticed the engine downshifting while slowing down. I'm guessing the above poster uses the "auto stick" feature, which imo is dumb on any SUV, unless it's a sport model. While on the topic of shifting, I do find that the automatic does take time to find a gear when you want accelerate from 30-40mph to 60mph quickly. However, I've driven a few Chrysler products recently and noticed that most of them do this. So I don't think it's just a V8 behavior.

Compared to other V8 SUV's I've driven this is pretty quiet. I can hear a Yukon/Escalade/Tahoe idling infront of me while at a light. It's louder when you get on it, but it doesn't have a terrible sound.

Thanks! nice info!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizz1979 (Post 639759)
This is my second Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited. It is by far the most refined Jeep to date. No comparison to my 05. This is much quieter and the transmission is sooo much smoother. I don't know how anyone could complain aboit the noise, you can barely hear it.

:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewster (Post 639890)
In four months I have owned both. I bought a Limited last December with the V6. I traded it for the Hemi in April. I thought the V6 had plenty of power on my test drives. In most cases it does, and is a very smooth and quiet engine. In stop and go traffic I just experienced some lulls that the engine wouldn't get out of. I thinks it's more transmission than lack of power.

So buyers remorse, I traded for the same JGC just with the Hemi. It has a nice growl when cranked up, but it surprisingly quiet at constant speed. Is it a Hemi "beast". I can't say that. The difference for me is more in the torque. It has the ability to pull through and not have those lulls.

I have even mixed highway and city driving for a commute. I was getting 19.7 with the V6, I'm getting 16.7 with the Hemi.

Overall, it was a good switch. Both engines are good and are completely different.

Thanks. Good Info! :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 639899)
I have the V8, was open to either engine but got a better deal on a V8. Frankly, I'm happy that it worked out that way, the v6 was fine, but it doesn't seem much more efficient and IMO it felt like it barely had enough power to move the GC. In fairness, I was looking at 4x4 Overlands, so it had extra loss and heft to deal with, lower and thus lighter end vehicles may be better about this.

Gas mileage for me wasn't a huge deal. I don't drive very much, so it isn't a huge sticking point for me. I tend to get about 15 city, and 22-23 highway, but a lot of it depends on driving style and terrain (ie, going up the hills or down the hills - I've learned to basically coast over hills and it helps mileage a lot, but you do lose some speed, but hey I'm in no rush).

I find the Hemi to be very quiet, and very smooth. You get a little burble and grunt, but its not excessive. Idle is smooth and silent on 89, on 87 it's slightly worse on NVH, but still barely perceptible. I don't engine brake, so I can't comment on that, IME it's cheaper to replace brake pads than to replace transmissions so I use the brakes. As I understand, in snowy/ice conditions this is not always preferred.

Overall, I'm very happy with the V8. The extra cost for the V8 and gas isn't a huge deal, this was an expensive truck to begin with. If there's anything I would have wanted instead it would have been a diesel.

:thumbsup: Thanks. Important stuff thanks all.

Pillbucket 06-06-2012 08:48 PM

I have had my GC Limited for about a month now and it has slightly over 1000 miles on it. I drove a V6 and a Hemi before deciding and I bought the Hemi because of the torque and passing power as well as the fact that the V6 was noticeably louder in cabin noise. I have about an 8 mile commute to work, with only 1 stop sign (:thumbsup:) and am averaging 18MPG all around. I am going on a 590 mile trip for fathers day and that will be my first real test for Highway MPG.