Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Broken lug studs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/broken-lug-studs-43040.html)

Metz1374 06-06-2012 11:41 AM

Broken lug studs

While driving the past 2 days my car has been rumbling as if it had a flat tire. I originally thought it felt like it was the front driver side tire so i checked it and the surround areas and there seemed to be no issues. I called to have a service appointment scheduled and when driving there my friend called me from his cell (he was following me in his vehicle) and said i see the problem. Your left rear tire is about to fall off. It was only half a mile away so i continued my ride there and examined the tire. I observed the lSt three remaining lugs were half a turn from being off the suds, and two studs were snapped off totally. The good part is that it didnt come off while driving and almost kill me. My question though is, the service department said itd be same day max. Then they call me and say the rim is bent from wobbling. So i give them permission to replace the rim at dealer price (rape) but they told me they we not able to legally let me drive the vehicle if they put the old rim back on. Later the same day they call me and say they cant replace the studs without removing the drum, which may destroy the bearings which in turn would cost me even more money and labor. Im not really a mechanical person as far as those parts are concerned. Hwre are my main questions

1 is it possible for the rim lug holes to have bent that badly that it cant be put back on the vehicle

2 is it really necessary to remove the drum, and if so is it really a possibility that the bearings would be destroyed

3 what would anyone estimTe the labor on these in total. (originally they said 1.5 hours total, then they said an additional 2.5 hours for the drum removal and maybe more for bearings if broken)

ajs800 06-06-2012 12:00 PM

Re: Broken lug studs

were the wheels recently removed and if so by whom?

Metz1374 06-06-2012 01:32 PM

Wheels were never removed, dealership said someone might have tried to steel them. Thats besides the point, my question is whether im getting the runaround

ajs800 06-06-2012 02:10 PM

It is and it isn't...if you had work done somewhere or at the dealer, you would be responsible for Zero of the bill, hence why i asked the question.

I would say what they are telling you is fair and probably accurate. You could defintely get around the idea of replacing the wheel and either have it left "as is" to be picked up and you sign off stating they are not responsible or find a new wheel yourself and have it put on. I'm sure even the discounted cost is a lot more then what you could find one for online. However, if it's truly bent, I know I wouldn't want to drive around a 2012 jeep that way.

What model of wk2 and wheel type do you have?

Metz1374 06-06-2012 02:24 PM

Its just an 18inch for a laredo x. I know what ur sayin, i wizh i did have it serviced so i could put it off on simeonr else but thats not the case herr. Their price wasnt to.bad imo 296 for that. It was the added stuff after about possibly a wheel bearing n more labor thats got.me.aggravated and questioning them. Its been in their shop for 14 hours since they said they started it. I hope they dont expect me to pay all that labor because itd be.ridiculous to pay 1400 before parts bc.a lugnut came off

Metz1374 06-06-2012 06:30 PM

Got the call, getting rung up for 858.33. 4.5 in labor n 330 in parrts

Justal13 06-06-2012 11:22 PM

Talk to your insurance company. You may be covered for damage caused during the "attempt to steal your wheels" (theft/vandalism coverage). Have the dealer write it up on the repair order that way. Should be covered if you have comprehesive with no deductible in most cases. Worth a try.

tnjeep 06-07-2012 05:40 AM

Also wondering about the drums you are talking about. These jeeps have 4 wheel disc, no drum brakes unless they are talking about the rear emergency brake.

Yadkin 06-07-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justal13 (Post 640024)
Talk to your insurance company. You may be covered for damage caused during the "attempt to steal your wheels" (theft/vandalism coverage). Have the dealer write it up on the repair order that way. Should be covered if you have comprehesive with no deductible in most cases. Worth a try.

Yes, that should be covered.

Metz1374 06-07-2012 04:55 PM

Not the drum brake, but whatever the studs are secured in

Metz1374 06-07-2012 04:56 PM

Insurance will cover it but id have to pay 500 bucks deductible, n my rate will probably go up. Not sure its worth it

2012 Summit 06-07-2012 05:03 PM

not sure about NJ, but no premium increase for comp. claims in PA.