Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Chinese Running Boards? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/chinese-running-boards-43045.html)

kkreit01 06-06-2012 02:38 PM

Chinese Running Boards?

Anyone see or try these yet? They look much better than the Owens boards, but are quite pricey when factoring in shipping. That, and they come from China :(. It's at least nice to see some new offerings. When is Mopar going to get off their butt, and make some?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/running-boar...6fb897&vxp=mtr

I have the Mopar Bars, but wish I didn't.

dfores1 06-06-2012 04:43 PM

Re: Chinese Running Boards?

Can't speak to the quality of the product, but I like the looks. The product description says it's made of high grade prastic, so no worries.

Angler 06-06-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfores1 (Post 639836)
Can't speak to the quality of the product, but I like the looks. The product description says it's made of high grade prastic, so no worries.

Yeah, but it also says," All the national horlidaies would stop export." :rolleyes:

Ernest 06-06-2012 08:24 PM

That shipping charge is a killer! And if you don't like them, you get to pay that shipping charge AGAIN!

I'm seriously considering the Romik running boards, which I think are much better looking and are made of stainless steel. The black painted ones are not that much more expensive than these, and carry a 10 year warrantee on the finish. I'll follow up with more details in a couple of days if I decide to purchase them.

kkreit01 06-08-2012 11:12 AM

Let us know on the Romik boards. Are they custom, or generic? I have not seen them.

Update. Just saw the Romik boards on their website. Have they always had them? I really like the black ones. If only I had seen them prior to buying my Mopar bars. Romik are the same price, and much more functional. Please tell me they just came out with these a month ago.

Ernest 06-12-2012 11:06 AM

I just heard back from Romik today. The boards are still in production for the 2011-2012 JGC, and are about 6-8 weeks out.

I'm not a big fan of the nerf bar look, or even of the average running board. But IMO these Romik boards combine the best attributes (and looks) of both, are all stainless (black ones are powdercoated stainless), have a great warranty, and are well regarded by those who own them. A short video I saw of the installation process on another vehicle looked like the mounting brackets were very sturdy and easy to install.

No "prastic" for me. I'm definitely waiting for this product!

kkreit01 06-13-2012 11:52 AM

Thanks for the update. That's good to know.

Ahujadaddy 04-22-2013 02:30 PM

Hey, did anyone here get the Romik running boards put on? Wondering how you like them and if any pics. Debating between that, the Dee Zee, and new molded mopar ones that came out supposedly.

Ernest 04-23-2013 01:04 AM

I installed the black powder-coated Romik boards. They are well made and look good. Good gravel, mud and rock protection for the sides also, if you drive on gravel, off road, or winter highways in the north. And you can retain your mud flaps.

My 5' tall wife really appreciates them for getting in and out of the vehicle. They are pretty simple to install, although I recommend using ramps or a lift for comfortably working under the vehicle. I also chose to replace the standard nuts with lock nuts to eliminate anything coming loose at some inopportune time.

DirtyDuc83 04-23-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest (Post 809686)
I installed the black powder-coated Romik boards. They are well made and look good. Good gravel, mud and rock protection for the sides also, if you drive on gravel, off road, or winter highways in the north. And you can retain your mud flaps.

My 5' tall wife really appreciates them for getting in and out of the vehicle. They are pretty simple to install, although I recommend using ramps or a lift for comfortably working under the vehicle. I also chose to replace the standard nuts with lock nuts to eliminate anything coming loose at some inopportune time.

Any pics of the boards on the jeep? Where did you purchase from?

Ahujadaddy 04-23-2013 07:34 AM

Thanks for posting Ernest, that was very helpful! Glad you mentioned that the mud flaps can be retained.

If it is possible for you to post some pics that would be awesome. I am actually just wondering how "flush" they sit with the car, and if there is a visible gap. I'm thinking to go with the black powder-coated as well.

Debauch 04-23-2013 10:58 AM

In for pictures as well.