Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Other Rides (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/)
-   -   Motorcycle RiderCourse (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f21/motorcycle-ridercourse-43072.html)

GreggSRT8 06-07-2012 09:08 AM

Motorcycle RiderCourse

Anyone ever take this course to get your Motorcycle License. Here in Texas if you take the course you don't have to take a road test...just the written. There are a few companies that do the course and there are also Harley Dealerships that do the courses. Harley charges a lot more...anyone know why and if its worth doing it through Harley over Mom and Pop RiderCourse?

ItsAJeepThing 06-07-2012 09:13 AM

Re: Motorcycle RiderCourse

A few of my friends took this course. They said that it is very good and useful, because they teach you everything that you need to know for safe riding. Its worth the money.
How much more is the Harley dealership charging?

GreggSRT8 06-07-2012 09:14 AM

$175 (Others) vs. $245 (Harley)

I think it seems kinda worth it if you get to ride Harleys and Buells all weekend instead of a Honda 550.

robpp 06-07-2012 04:22 PM

get your license. get a bit comfortable on your bike.

THEN go for that Motorcycle Safety course.

if you take the course as a novice you wont be aboe to grasp everything.

oh and take your license test on the bike you RIDE not some little stand in POS>

I took my test on my Harley in the rain. I can remember there was a ZZTOP looking bunch that took theirs on a old Honda 250 and they looked ridiculous. even the moderator laughed at them.

sorry i cant help it: to be safe on a bike you need SPATIAL AWARENESS. you always need to be aware of every obstacle vehicle etc. you MUST be fully concious of your full surroundings. also, you can get out of a lot more jambs with throttle rather than brake: remember that.

bobharly 06-27-2012 11:04 PM

I live in California and it cost me like $250 to take it at a local college. And I only had to take the written test afterwards. The class waived the driving portion of the test. I found the course invaluable as a novice rider and if you pay attention and take the class serious you will grasp much the concepts presented. Even if not immediately, later when riding on your own you will remember those lessons and appreciate the knowledge. Taking the course after you begin riding is like closing the barn after the horses have run away. You may make a costly mistake that was totally avoidable just by taking the class, since the class is made specifically for newbies. The course we had you could ride a honda rebel 250 or a 200cc dirt bike. And I never worried about if I looked ridiculous. I wanted a sports bike and wore my sports jacket on a S40 cruiser for a year and half till I could afford a sv650. If you want to look cool dropping a bike that is too big or advanced for you go ahead. Clutch lever and shift lever cost me $225 just for forgetting to make sure the kick stand was down in the driveway. I do agree that SPATIAL AWARENESS is a life saver. Brakes vs. throttle is situational, but you do have that choice and should know how to do both when needed. Good luck and don't break more than one law at a time...

bobharly 06-27-2012 11:08 PM

As for the Harley course, I believe when I looked it up online three years ago, they only used buell blasts 500cc bikes. But the course is supposed be quite good.

hoffmanestates 07-17-2012 08:00 PM

I have taken a course here in il where community college offers a 3 day class taught by licensed instructors and they also ride bikes them selfs. I passed the written but failed the driven as their course is made in a parking lot no way I can do two figure 8's in a box at a slow speed and not touch ground with foot

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2

WK2007 12-07-2012 07:16 PM

If I were you, I would not consider buying or riding a bike until you have completed the MSF course. Despite the fact that a MSF course does help you learn to operate a motorcycle, it is only an entry-level course. Through my 20 plus years of riding and having worked in the motorcycle industry, I can tell you that the first 10,000 miles you put on a bike are the most dangerous and considered the initial learning curve. If you want a real piece of advice, buy a 250-500 cc bike, ride it for at least two years, and then progressively trade your way up to the machine that you really want. Any other way is a recipe for disaster.

Naldo 12-30-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 640324)
get your license. get a bit comfortable on your bike.

THEN go for that Motorcycle Safety course.

if you take the course as a novice you wont be aboe to grasp everything.

oh and take your license test on the bike you RIDE not some little stand in POS>

I took my test on my Harley in the rain. I can remember there was a ZZTOP looking bunch that took theirs on a old Honda 250 and they looked ridiculous. even the moderator laughed at them.

sorry i cant help it: to be safe on a bike you need SPATIAL AWARENESS. you always need to be aware of every obstacle vehicle etc. you MUST be fully concious of your full surroundings. also, you can get out of a lot more jambs with throttle rather than brake: remember that.

I think the opossite...the basic msf course is made for peeps that have never even touched a bike. I had a bike before taking it but most of the people there were just thinking about it and wanted to see if it was for them, ages ranged from a 14 year old girl to a really old man, and it's very silly to laugh at people that outsmarted you by picking the small nimble bike that can do circles around an expensive 2 wheeled tractor in an obstacle course, no need to try to look cool as it is not a show/race, is a test so what ever makes it easier that's what you should use...I took my msf card to the counter along with some cash and got my license no other tests required at least in my case about 7^ years ago.

Naldo 12-30-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 658010)
I have taken a course here in il where community college offers a 3 day class taught by licensed instructors and they also ride bikes them selfs. I passed the written but failed the driven as their course is made in a parking lot no way I can do two figure 8's in a box at a slow speed and not touch ground with foot

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2

Keep your chin up and look where you want to go...;)

lysol 01-14-2013 09:09 PM

Had to take it in the Air Force. Definitely worth it.