Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Not the happiest camper (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/not-the-happiest-camper-43073.html)

jeep2be 06-07-2012 09:12 AM

Not the happiest camper

Hi guys,

I have a "new" problem with my car: I had to be towed for the second time to the service because of a broken belt. I don't know how, but the belt start to shred to thin filaments, and gets stuck under different components. Twice!
Did anybody know about this issue? Is the first car I got a broken belt; and once I said ... well, things happen, but for the second time?
Not too happy because all together I had to be in the service for 7 times in one year (failing sensors, errors with the radio (RHR), new rotors (vibrating when braking, better now, but still vibrating)).
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

P.S. Thanks to 2012 Summit for the right question. The engine is the V6.

2012 Summit 06-07-2012 09:13 AM

Re: Not the happiest camper

V6 or V8?

JTS97Z28 06-07-2012 10:36 AM

Well keep us posted if they say what the issue is. No issues so far with my 2012 Overland V6.

sined240 06-07-2012 11:04 AM

Make sure there are no defective tensioners as they hold the belts in place with the right tension when those things are turning quite fast.

jeep2be 09-07-2012 07:16 AM

Well, I have a (bad) update to this story: it happened again!
I went in service last week (towed again) because the alternator had a bad grounding, and the car didn’t start…. At least was a lot of fun to watch the skilled towing truck driver how he “extracted” my Jeep from a very “tow-unfriendly” corner of a multi-level parking lot. I got the car from service last Tuesday…
Well, yesterday, I barely made it home with a nice “tick-tick” noise, and I had the car towed again, the belt is shredding again. Third time. Towed twice in less than a week … should we start a kind of a contest? I think I can win this.
I can’t wait for the 2014 ….

jgiuliani 09-07-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2be (Post 680454)
I canít wait for the 2014 Ö.

This is where we differ... I wouldn't even consider another Jeep after the experience you've had. Heck I probably won't consider another one after the experiences I've had that aren't half as bad as this.

viking757 09-07-2012 08:12 AM

Did you check all the pulleys for any cracks or sharp edges? One bad pulley can easily shred a belt....

4jeepdiesel 09-07-2012 08:31 AM

check into the lemon law. If they can't fix the cause of the problem after 3 attempts they have to take the vehicle back and either replace it or give your $$ back.

hops23 09-07-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viking757 (Post 680474)
Did you check all the pulleys for any cracks or sharp edges? One bad pulley can easily shred a belt....

Definitely check the pulleys. Have them check if they don't line up, too far in or out. If they don't the ribs on the belt will cause it to shred.

jeep2be 09-07-2012 08:41 AM

Well, lemon law is not implemented here in Canada. Chrysler "is committed" to fix it every time I have a problem.
I don't know if I have any avenue here - 9 times in service in 16 months .....
The pulley was replaced twice till now (each time with a new belt).

4jeepdiesel 09-07-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2be (Post 680487)
Well, lemon law is not implemented here in Canada. Chrysler "is committed" to fix it every time I have a problem.
I don't know if I have any avenue here - 9 times in service in 16 months .....
The pulley was replaced twice till now (each time with a new belt).

Oh my. Sorry to hear that. Even with the lemon law it's a pain to get carried out. Is there a different dealer you can take it to for their opinion on what might be causing it? Sometimes mechanics these days can't figure something out unless a "computer" tells them there's a problem.

Duff Daddy 09-07-2012 10:46 AM

This is wherever later level and guide comes out , measure the alignment also check the trueness of the cc timing cover as a straight base. Belts don't fail, its an accessories or tensioned alignment issue.