Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Oops, Need to get something out of door. Help please. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/oops-need-to-get-something-out-of-door-help-please-43076.html)

Palmetto 06-07-2012 11:43 AM

Oops, Need to get something out of door. Help please.

I was trying to isolate a slight rattle/clicking noise that I'm hearing in the driver's door and wedged a coin between the armrest and the panel to see if that silenced or reduced the noise. It did not, and, unfortunately, before I could pry the coin back out it slipped on down. This morning I heard it fall into the bottom of the door panel. Doesn't seem to be making noise, yet, but something tells me it will.

I found the PDF for trim removal. I don't have the trim removal piece, but suspect a butter knife or something similar may work? Is it fairly easy to remove the panel, and, more importantly, to keep the existing clips in good shape and functional? Maybe I can just pry the bottom enough to let the coin pass on through if I can figure out exactly where it is...

Yes, I know, it wasn't brilliant. But it was all I had with me at the moment and it was in a fit of tired annoyance. Serves me right... I just need to learn not to hear such small noises (it's a minor and intermittent click).

Ratchet 06-07-2012 02:07 PM

Re: Oops, Need to get something out of door. Help please.

If the coin fell down far enough to hit the "door shell", then let the fun begin.

You will need to remove the outer door panel. There is also an inner panel that will need to be removed. You *may* be able to cheat by leaving the inner panel in place and only removing the door speaker to give you enough room to get your arm down into the door channel to retrieve the coin.

Palmetto 06-07-2012 02:34 PM

Great.... are the little plastic clips a one and done type thing? In other words, will I need new ones?

Maybe I'll pray that it lodges somewhere it can't move.

ajs800 06-07-2012 02:45 PM

hopefully there's some type of noise reducing spray or foam at the bottom and it will quietly remain there. I wouldn't bother with it unless you start hearing a new rattle.

Ratchet 06-07-2012 03:50 PM

Being that the inner panel is hard plastic, it's also possible that the coin is resting against that causing the rattle.

The outer panel clips are reusable, but if they have never been pryed out, be prepared for them to put up a good fight. If it were me, I'd detatch the bottom panel clips for the outer panel (appx 4-5 of them) and see if your coin falls out.

ColoradoJeep 06-07-2012 04:15 PM

Look at it this way. If you don't get it out your GC will be worth just a little more when you trade it in! HA!

Palmetto 06-07-2012 06:25 PM

I got lucky. I was able to remove from the bottom using only the tool you see here. Good thing, too, because it was noticeable.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6...imeremoval.jpg

Ratchet 06-07-2012 08:46 PM

Good deal. Glad you solved your rattle issue...and got a refund. ;)

Palmetto 06-07-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratchet (Post 640428)
Good deal. Glad you solved your rattle issue...and got a refund. ;)

Well I still haven't solved the original rattle, but at least I solved the second (and much worse) rattle.

And yes, first time it's ever paid to fix it.

Ratchet 06-08-2012 06:30 AM

I had posted a panel rattle in a thread a while back. Ended up taking the outer panel off and tightening all of the trim screws on the back side of the panel. Has been rattle free ever since.

AAAA 06-09-2012 12:39 PM

Great. You must have the optional coin return button.