Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Remote Start (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/remote-start-43135.html)

dane.p 06-08-2012 07:03 PM

Remote Start

How much would it run me to get it installed by a dealer versus doing it myself?

05WK 06-09-2012 09:17 AM

Re: Remote Start

Dealer can quote you that. Depends on what system you use, Chrysler or off brand. Some may require a new key with the remote start button

Don't do this yourself unless you really know how to run wires and tap into other systems. Pretty complicated

JMLoughrey 06-09-2012 10:53 AM

DO NOT PUT A REMOTE START SYSTEM IN YOURSELF. Unless you've been a car audio installer over the passed few years, things have changed. The WK is one of the most complex cars out there (not really) but there computer systems are extremely touchy.

An aftermarket shop will probably be in the range of $300-$800 installed, fully depending on what system you get. Do not install anything other then a Viper rs (IMHO). You will not have to give up a key, but you will need what is called a bypass, it will learn the chip code of your vehicle and integrate into the vehicles CAN-BUS system. Also, make sure the shop installs a hoodpin switch, whether it be a ball bearing type, or fixed mounted metal switch, without that switch you can cause serious injury to yourself, mechanic or friend.

I personally have the Factory RS in my 07 WK, came with the vehicle, it works perfectly for my needs, the range isnt anything like that of an aftermarket system, but it does work perfectly.

Any specific info you'd like feel free to shoot me an email, i've been an MECP certified car audio installer for 8 years now.

JEEP SMC 06-11-2012 06:53 AM

I purchased my kit from justforjeeps for 230ish and had jeep put it in for 175. Not bad

Love it

conorm7 06-23-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 641033)
Also, make sure the shop installs a hoodpin switch, whether it be a ball bearing type, or fixed mounted metal switch, without that switch you can cause serious injury to yourself, mechanic or friend.

Not OP but I have a hoodpin switch installed w/ my aftermarket remote start and thought it was part of the alarm, what is it's function? Didn't know it was a safety thing.

soontobesrt 06-23-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conorm7 (Post 647091)
Not OP but I have a hoodpin switch installed w/ my aftermarket remote start and thought it was part of the alarm, what is it's function? Didn't know it was a safety thing.

The hoodpin switch disables the remote start when the hood is open. Its basically a safety so that when someone is working under the hood you cant accidentally remote start the vehicle which would be bad news if say someone was doing an oil change/timing belt or some other service where your engine starting could be detrimental