Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   01 gc laredo hard starting...help please (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/01-gc-laredo-hard-starting-help-please-43185.html)

djluski 06-10-2012 08:24 AM

01 gc laredo hard starting...help please

I have an 01 GC Laredo that recently developed an issue starting (on a cold start)....It used to start on the first crank. Then it would start on the 2nd crank. Like the first crank is always an absolute failure then within 5 seconds of the 2nd crank it would fire up. The problem has gotten worse! Now it starts MAYBE on the 2nd crank and always on the 3rd crank. Once running, it is rough and hesitates for the first 30 seconds of warming up. After this it runs fine on the road. When accelerating, i feel a slight bit of lag when i step on the gas. If i start the jeep after its been running for a while, i only sometimes experience this issue. I am very handy and can handle most repairs myself so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Background info:
Aftermarket Dynamax Muffler
JetChips Power Chip
Cold Air Intake
Throttle Body Spacer (removed since this issue, will reinstall)

FlyinRyan 06-10-2012 09:06 AM

Re: 01 gc laredo hard starting...help please

Keep the spacer off.

I noticed a difference in.starting with replacing the cam position sensor.

djluski 06-10-2012 11:02 AM

thanks, i'll try that. where is it located? is it a difficult install?

kennzz05 06-10-2012 05:42 PM

plugs, wires? how old

djluski 06-10-2012 07:58 PM

plugs are relatively new. i think the previous owners got a tune-up at 100K and i currently have 138K. it has coil packs.

Frango100 06-10-2012 10:35 PM

Next time try to prime the system first. Put the ignition switch in on and after 3 seconds in off again, repeat this 2 or 3 times and then see if it will start immediately. If it does, you loose the pressure in the fuel rail after some time. This can be caused by the fuel pressure regulator (inside the fuel filter just in front of the tank), or by an o-ring from the fuel pump (inside the tank)
If you would decide to change the cam sensor, its on the RH cylinder head almost at the fwd RH side.

2005JGC 06-12-2012 12:58 AM

If you have an external fuel filter there is a pressure regulator in it... I had a customer come in with a WJ running like a bag of asses, another shop litterally pulled the head off of it and did a head gasket to repair the concern, I knew instantly it was fuel starvation as when you leaned into it, the thing fell on its face... I hooked my fuel pressure gauge up and wouldnt ya know it it was like 15-20 psi, I hooked my gauge up pre filter and had great pressure 55-65psi or so, so I knew the problem was the filter in the regulator.

I agree with frank, it seems like a fuel bleed down issue.

djluski 06-13-2012 05:50 PM

thanks so much guys, i just replaced the cam and crank shaft sensors to be safe, was not all that expensive. next i will check the fuel pressure by doing what Frango100 said. thanks again guys, will report back soon.

djluski 06-13-2012 10:31 PM

I tried "priming" the fuel system by turning the key 3 times before cranking it. it seemed to help a little but still stuttered starting. any other ideas? this weekend i will replace the fuel filter to eliminate another possible cause/future problem

2KWJ* 06-14-2012 01:17 AM

After you replace the filter check the fuel pressure with a guage. 50-60 psi should be good with Key on engine off and a steady 50 to 55 with it running. Specs may be off a bit but usually close enough.

Frango100 06-14-2012 11:02 AM

Ok, let us know how it runs after the filter/regulator change. If that doesn´t help and when the fuel pressure is not within specs, you probably have a problem with the fuel pump.

djluski 06-15-2012 09:08 PM

well i replaced the fuel filter today. then i "primed" the fuel lines by turning the key 3 times and it took a bit of effort to start still but then again the lines were dry and had air gaps. once i started it i ran it for about 5 minutes. left it for an hour and then started it again. this time it started up almost normally. i found this technical service bulletin that prettymuch defines my problem...i really don't wanna fork over the money for a fuel pump.http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1400201.pdf