Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   WK2 spotlight connection (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/wk2-spotlight-connection-43222.html)

XJ &WK2 06-11-2012 05:11 AM

WK2 spotlight connection

g'day all,

Proud owner of a wk2 overland for about 6 months now. I what to fit spotlights but do not know where to connect to so they come on with the high beam. Anyone got any ideas ????

Hickers 06-23-2012 07:59 AM

Re: WK2 spotlight connection

I would like an answer to this one too, currently manually switched spots which are not the best option, if anyone has done this please share. Thanks in advance.

josh3008 06-23-2012 09:11 PM

Haven't done it yet (waiting to fit my nudge bar from jeep, when they have time to make the brackets) but the only way i can think of is to try and use the wire that controls the shutter in the HID light. either that or behind the instrument cluster and go from the high beam indicator light.

XJ &WK2 07-07-2012 04:42 AM

Re: WK2 Overland spotlight connection - Solution

Finally found the solution to my problem.

1. For right hand drive vehicle ( never looked at a left hand drive ) remove the passanger side plastic cover that runs around the top of the guard curving across the top of the head light to the grill. Use a knife to remove the pushin fasteners.

2. Remove the air box containing the air cleaner. the top is unclipped on the outer most side and pivitted off the retaining latches on the other side, remove the utilux clamp that retains the air tube and then the engine breather.

3. At the rear of the passanger head light you will see three connection plugs, the one you want is the bottom inside ( near the radiator at the bottom ). i am not a contortionist so pulling this plug wasn't going to happen. But, you will see three cables going to it, the one you want is the white with green stripe. This is the 12 Volt trigger that flicks the HID head light to high beam. I sliced the insulation to expose the copper conducter and used a mulimeter to confirm this, when you do it, triple check....

4. I purchased a pair of Hella Ralley 4000 compact with 100 Watt HID, the kit came with every thing I needed for the electrical connection. I mounted the inverters above the headlights on the inside of the top radiator support. ( this time I had to be a contortionist ). I used the 12 Volt supply that feeds the fuse box under the bonnet and mounted the relay on the mounting plate that supports it.

I am yet to find a bull or nudge bar that i can fit to my Overland that will accommodate the parking sensors and the adaptive cruise control sensor so mounting the spot lights made for a challenge. I opted for an easy way out and mounted them on a number plate bracket. This will be upgraded once ARB or the like design something we can all enjoy.

I hope this helps and makes some kind of sense

Cheers......

savvas 07-07-2012 08:24 PM

Nice work ... thanks for sharing

:thumbsup:

spiros 07-07-2012 11:17 PM

any photos?

josh3008 07-08-2012 04:53 AM

Re: WK2 Overland spotlight connection - Solution

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJ &WK2 (Post 653022)
Finally found the solution to my problem.

This will be upgraded once ARB or the like design something we can all enjoy.

I hope this helps and makes some kind of sense

Cheers......

Waiting Also... Wish thy would hurry up already...

naut210 04-27-2014 11:33 PM

If you are doing this yourself make sure that the relay you use has diode to protect the electrical system from power spikes. I am about to try XJ& WK2 suggestion on the hi beam feed.

Hibernator 04-28-2014 05:40 AM

Couple of pictures of spotlight connection on the below thread on another forum

Hibernator's WK2 build up - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

naut210 04-29-2014 07:23 PM

Hibernator your information (on your link ausjeepoffroad) is great. :thumbsup:
I was wondering where you put your internal switches. Before I saw your post I was looking at the same spot you put yours, although I had given up on the spot up thinking it is to hard to get to but now I see you have done it I will try again. Also I was looking at the headlight connector on the right hand side as it seemed easier to get to (sits under the radiator tank) then the left. Hopefully the set out is the same as the left.
Thanks Again.

naut210 04-30-2014 04:05 AM

Well I am confused. On either the left or the right head light loom I can't find the HiBeam lead. The Green and White one you mentioned showed 6v at low beam which jumped to 12v on high beam. Is that what you got when you tested it? I can't find any at zero then jumping to 12v. what relay did you use?

Hibernator 04-30-2014 04:40 PM

Mine white/green wire definately went from 0 volts to 12 volts when switching the high beams on. Havent seem 6 volts. Maybe you are getting backfeed from somewhere???

I just used a regular Narva relay ( the one with the diode )

Cheers