Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Increasing the wattage of the A/C plug to 180w plus? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/increasing-the-wattage-of-the-a-c-plug-to-180w-plus-43267.html)

gaidin43 06-12-2012 11:02 AM

Increasing the wattage of the A/C plug to 180w plus?

I am trying to figure out a way to increase the wattage from the A/C plug from 150w to 180w or more. In particular I have a 180w PSU for my laptop I want to be able to plug in and use while I'm traveling.

I know there is a built in safety that too much draw turns off the plug at the switch.

My question is if there is a way to increase the wattage, how to do this, and if anyone has done anything similar to this.

Thanks.

gaidin43 06-12-2012 12:08 PM

Here is some more info on this.

Quote:

Question on the PSU. I know it is a 180w output to the laptop, but that is also the draw of the PSU from the plug? I know a normal 110-120 volt ac wall outlet have variable wattage, but I'm trying to see what the wattage draw is from the wall when maxed out.
<br />
<br />
180W is the max power from the wall to the PSU and that can be recieved by the laptop from the PSU. Plus or minus a few losses here and there.<br />
<br />
Aprox 1.6Amps @ 110Volts

Tybalt39 06-12-2012 01:50 PM

Re: Increasing the wattage of the A/C plug to 180w plus?

You would have to replace the inverter (if you can find it and if a higher-output unit will fit in the same location). It could be in the well under the front seat. No, not with the battery. The other one....

180W laptop supply. Gaming rig?

gaidin43 06-12-2012 01:52 PM

Yup sager np9150. Will I have to rewire everything too or could I just replace the inverter(where ever the hell it's at)

scittb 06-12-2012 04:59 PM

I believe the inverter is bolted to the bottom of the pas seat.

Andrew Klossner 06-12-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaidin43 (Post 642252)
180W is the max power from the wall to the PSU and that can be recieved by the laptop from the PSU. Plus or minus a few losses here and there.

It's rather more than "a few." If the power supply is 80% efficient, meaning it passes 80% of the wattage through to the output, it's considered pretty good. An 80% PSU supplying 180 watts would draw 225 watts from the wall outlet.

gaidin43 06-13-2012 07:28 AM

Ha! Well that's a whole other issue then!!!!

I'm guessing my best option is to try to find a 200-250w inverter and replace the stock one.

Buying a 200w dc one seems like I'll just be blowing my fuses all the time.

I can't imagine a laptop drawing 225w or so watts from the wall.

gaidin43 11-18-2012 09:00 AM

Yup this worked for a short time when only web browsing. When my GPU kicked in it kept tripping the internal fuse when there is too much draw.

Looks like ill be finding a dc inverter to see if it will work before I start replacing the internal inverter to pump out more juice.

armoredsaint 11-18-2012 09:53 AM

in before the fire pics ;)

padgett 11-18-2012 10:00 AM

If under pass seat, could replace with 400 Watt Continuous/800 Watt Peak Power Inverter one of these. On sale at moment.

If me, I'd probably add a fused relay to switch with ignition. Keep in mind that 200W & 80% takes 20 amps of 12v

Might also look for a 12vdc>19vdc converter.

gaidin43 11-18-2012 10:33 AM

The battery is under the passenger seat. My question is where would I mount that where it is not on the fabric of the floor. The heat from the inverter with the fabric would be more of an issue for fires then anything else. I guess I could mounted on a piece of wood and then mount the wood to the panel that goes over the battery. But then the concern is will the chair still function without interfering with the inverter.

Do you think a DC inverter will be enough for something that is pulling 230 watts Or will it continuously below the fuses for the cigarette lighter?

padgett 11-18-2012 04:05 PM

1) Power supply for Sager says 9 amps at 19v, that would be more like 330w at 12v.

2) One way to reduce the inverter load would be to remove the laptop battery so it is not charging, another is to reduce the screen brightness (in daylight that could be a problem).

Was thinking more of a direct, fused connection from the inverter to be battery so does not use the vehicle wiring. I'd consider just buying a new battery cover, remove the carpet, add an aluminum plate, and mount the inverter on that. Now all you need are a pair of ring terminals to go to the battery and a fused 20A quick connect from a motorcyle starter with a relay to the ignition in one leg.

Disconnect the connector, unplug the charger, and remove the tray and inverter as a unit when need access to the battery.

Run for a while and check for heat transfer to the seat but modern high efficiency switchers do not generate much heat.