Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Alignment (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/alignment-43272.html)

Dotcom 06-12-2012 01:06 PM

Alignment

So i drove over the median last week and now the steering wheel is titled slightly to the right, i mean ever so slight, maybe 2 degrees, maybe its in my head. Also, i sense a very light vibration in the steering wheel but i dont know if this is the road or if i've bent the rims. Without driving another Jeep, can anyone put my mind at ease about this? Do your jeeps pull a little to the right on the highway and do you feel the roughness of the pavement while driving?

Best,

Dotcom

Scottina06 06-12-2012 02:36 PM

Have your wheels/tires checked. They can also check alignment

P-Dawger 06-12-2012 02:47 PM

Re: Alignment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotcom (Post 642282)
So i drove over the median last week and now the steering wheel is titled slightly to the right, i mean ever so slight, maybe 2 degrees, maybe its in my head. Also, i sense a very light vibration in the steering wheel but i dont know if this is the road or if i've bent the rims. Without driving another Jeep, can anyone put my mind at ease about this? Do your jeeps pull a little to the right on the highway and do you feel the roughness of the pavement while driving?

Best,

Dotcom

Couple things on this...first off "median" is vague. Was there a sharp curb, did you hit head on, at an angle, how fast?

What do your tires and rims look like? Damage, curb rash, missing pieces of rubber from the sidewall?

How many tires hit, one two, at the same time? Did all 4 hit, you may have rear alignment issues also as they have camber and toe settings...

Sorry for all the questions but it really depends on alot of factors regarding your alignment and if something is out of spec or worse, bent/damaged.

2 degrees is a fair amount given high performance nature and ratio of the steering on the SRT8.

You need to find a flat road...no crown. Most roads have a crown in the center to drain water. Find a flat road and you should be able to drive straight with no wondering and no hands on the wheel for about a 2 foootball field lengths or 200 yards.

The above is a rough guide to determine if you need an alignment. Things that will change the steering wheel "on centered" feel, are camber and toe, if out they can likely be adjusted back in spec. Worst cast is you have bent a tie rod or strut upright.

In terms of vibration it could possibly be related if you bent a wheel although not likely, they usually crack or break before bending (more characteristic of a steel, cast wheel - not forged) but a slight bend is possible. If the tire(s) were hit hard enough you can cause a belt separation that will definitely cause a vibration or high spot.

Honestly the best course is to get it to the dealer for an alignment check - can't hurt and they can determine if anything else is wrong. Given the cost of tires for these rigs it may be a wise investement instead of cupping a set of expensive tires.

I do all of my alignments on my track car at home so I am aware that there are alot of factors that can be at play and the settings are very sensitive.

Hope this helps.

HAMMMERHEAD 06-12-2012 05:49 PM

Re: Alignment

You need an alignment and have all the tires checked for balance. The tires are $450 each, so if the alignment kills the two fronts quickly its going to be a lot of dough to replace them and THEN go get an alignment.

Mine runs fairly straight, but on pavement that is sunk or has runners from heavy trucks, it will hunt a little due to the massive tires.