Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Clay Bar and Brilliant Black (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/clay-bar-and-brilliant-black-43320.html)

decc657 06-13-2012 07:54 PM

Clay Bar and Brilliant Black

Has anyone used a clay bar on a Brilliant Black WK2 yet? I plan on getting the Ultra Fine Clay Bar with recommended Dodo Born Slippy lube from DI but am still nervous about using it because of all the reports that black swirls and mars so easily. I currently shampoo with Dodo's Born to be Mild using 2 bucket method and foam gun and have sealed with Blackfire's Wet Diamond by hand but want to take it to the next level without causing damage. Any advice and/or recommendations?

JTS97Z28 06-13-2012 08:04 PM

Re: Clay Bar and Brilliant Black

Clay bars dont scratch your paint as long as you use a clean clay bar. I have used them on plenty of black cars and the results are amazing. Infact im not even that careful with them. I have been using the same claybar for years lol, and use nothing more than soapy water as the spray lube. I have never had any issues and if you saw my cars finishes you would be blown away.
If I do a detail I would wash the car by hand with dish washing soap, followed by clay bar (and again just soapy water for that), then a nice wax job. Some people go all out using 30 step processes that take an entire weekend to do, but IMO thats overkill and this is coming from a anal person.
Unless you have sand or other junk stuck in your clay bar you wont damage paint and I have rubbed them very hard on finishes before.

Goodluck!

armoredsaint 06-13-2012 08:07 PM

remember if you drop the clay bar, throw it away and use a fresh one.

if the clay bar is big, break it in 1/2 or 1/3 and use plenty of lube.

i prefer zaino or a cheaper route is meg's, mix car wash shampoo is another alternative as the lube.

eta: black sapphire BMW 335i, brilliant black Audi TT is my experiences with this color

ASLEEPER 06-13-2012 08:56 PM

I've had my car clay barred as well as myself doing it. Never had any issues. When I did it, I used the white Maquires clay bar & did it after I had washed the car & then lubricated the bar with the soapy wash water. Came out great!

BuckeyeSRT 06-13-2012 09:07 PM

...just to add, some clay bars are more aggressive than others. I use a mix of auto shampoo and water and that worked great. Many use detailer to lube the clay as well. Lube lube lube.

CobraKyle 06-13-2012 09:28 PM

Based on the short time I've had my brilliant black wk2, I've noticed the clear is actually much stronger than the finish that was on my last car. As long as you follow the recommendations above (keep folding it over and keep the surface lubed), you'll be more than fine.

amill 06-14-2012 06:52 AM

As mentioned previously use lots of spray detailer/soap and water and you'll be fine. Don't use dish soap on your car. Thye detrgents are very harsh compared.to a neutral car wash. It can cause issues with your trim and seals over time. The clay bar will remove whatever wax you have on the paint along with road grim and rail dust.

Just make sure you do small sections at a time and constantly remold the clay. If you drop it don't reuse it.

decc657 06-14-2012 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone, very much appreciated!! Definitely feel more comfortable now and am excited for amazing results!

Jonkr15 06-14-2012 09:41 AM

Good luck! You never really know how good your car can look until you've used a clay bar. I think you'll be happy with the results.

SW03ES 06-14-2012 12:05 PM

As long as you use it properly you'll be just fine. I clay while I wash, I soap down a panel, rinse it, soap it again and move along the car that way. Pretty much any over the counter claybar is pretty benign so far as aggressiveness goes, to get bars so aggressive they could mar the paint on their own with no contaminates you'd have to order online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amill
Don't use dish soap on your car. Thye detrgents are very harsh compared.to a neutral car wash. It can cause issues with your trim and seals over time. The clay bar will remove whatever wax you have on the paint along with road grim and rail dust.

For everyday washes I agree, nothing wrong with using a dish soap (make sure there are no abrasives in it! Some new soaps have abrasives) a couple times a year when you clay to strip all the oils off the paint to start fresh.

Claying will typically remove the wax layer anyways.

duttch 07-08-2012 11:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I used Mothers clay bar the next day i bought my car.
Said to the salesman that i took it home without washing and polishing.
i wanted to do that my self, do not trust the boys from the carwash overthere.
It turned out pretty nice, all the train transport junk on the paint is gone.

CobraKyle 07-25-2012 10:59 AM

I finally got around to claying my Brilliant Black Jeep and holy cow, it really made the paint pop. I mostly found impurities in the flat surfaces (hood and roof mainly), with very few on the vertical panels.