Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Looooong wait.... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/looooong-wait-43321.html)

Overspin 06-13-2012 08:27 PM

Looooong wait....
 
So, right from the start of 2012 SRT8 production there was talk of the old 5 speed trans getting upgraded to a rev-matching 8 speed for 2013. I decided to wait for it. Then in around January 2012 the word came down that the new trans might not make it into the 2013, but we would find out by early June. Sure enough, 2013 will now be a short model year, and the 2014 will release early in 2013 (confused yet?) with 8 speeds and a mid-model refresh.

Enough waiting. Yesterday I went in to my local dealer and asked about a 2013. Apparently, it can be ordered now, but it can't be priced yet. The dealer will call when pricing is available for 2013, which Milous has shown will probably be at least USD 1030 extra. This is Canada, could be more (eh)!

The dealer also said they have sold and ordered only one SRT8 in 2012. It was ordered in October, and is still not built, but is promised before the end of 2012 production. So, by that timeline, I could possibly be ordering in July and maybe not take delivery until March, for a 5 speed 2013 just after production is scheduled to start on the 2014 with the 8 speed. And the $1030 or more extra would be for what?

Now here's the problem. My daughter has a clapped out old mini-van and was going to car shop. I promised to give her my '04 WJ Limited before winter because she lives in snow country and I want her and my grandkids to be safe. The WJ is in great shape with a full set of winter snows, but it's trade-in value is peanuts, so why not let family have the benefit of all my OCD maintenance on it? Good plan so far, but now I need a replacement before winter.

I'm thinking it might be time to look at another option for a few years and then later on see if Jeep straightens out the production delays. Meanwhile, for now I can save some bucks and get an Overland Hemi, or spend a few more and go for the new M-B ML550.

Any suggestions?

mlarco52 06-13-2012 09:19 PM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Why not buy a 2012 Wk2 srt8? Same thing as the 2013, without the price increase, and no wait...I think that's a no brainer

Overspin 06-13-2012 09:48 PM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Yeah....that would be right....but none available from stock, and only two within 1000 km for unsold incoming orders. Then they will be 2012 arriving just as the 2013 model year begins. I maybe save $1000 but lose a year's depreciation on day one. Not so much of a no-brainer anymore.

BobsWK2 06-14-2012 12:58 AM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overspin (Post 642970)
So, right from the start of 2012 SRT8 production there was talk of the old 5 speed trans getting upgraded to a rev-matching 8 speed for 2013. I decided to wait for it. Then in around January 2012 the word came down that the new trans might not make it into the 2013, but we would find out by early June. Sure enough, 2013 will now be a short model year, and the 2014 will release early in 2013 (confused yet?) with 8 speeds and a mid-model refresh.

Enough waiting. Yesterday I went in to my local dealer and asked about a 2013. Apparently, it can be ordered now, but it can't be priced yet. The dealer will call when pricing is available for 2013, which Milous has shown will probably be at least USD 1030 extra. This is Canada, could be more (eh)!

The dealer also said they have sold and ordered only one SRT8 in 2012. It was ordered in October, and is still not built, but is promised before the end of 2012 production. So, by that timeline, I could possibly be ordering in July and maybe not take delivery until March, for a 5 speed 2013 just after production is scheduled to start on the 2014 with the 8 speed. And the $1030 or more extra would be for what?

Now here's the problem. My daughter has a clapped out old mini-van and was going to car shop. I promised to give her my '04 WJ Limited before winter because she lives in snow country and I want her and my grandkids to be safe. The WJ is in great shape with a full set of winter snows, but it's trade-in value is peanuts, so why not let family have the benefit of all my OCD maintenance on it? Good plan so far, but now I need a replacement before winter.

I'm thinking it might be time to look at another option for a few years and then later on see if Jeep straightens out the production delays. Meanwhile, for now I can save some bucks and get an Overland Hemi, or spend a few more and go for the new M-B ML550.

Any suggestions?

Have you priced out an ML550? It will run about $20K more (US) comparably equipped to the Overland. I've taken a test ride in it and I don't feel its worth that much extra, but it is up to you. Good luck.

kbench55 06-14-2012 08:37 AM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overspin (Post 643018)
Yeah....that would be right....but none available from stock, and only two within 1000 km for unsold incoming orders. Then they will be 2012 arriving just as the 2013 model year begins. I maybe save $1000 but lose a year's depreciation on day one. Not so much of a no-brainer anymore.

Are you limited to that one dealer? I am sure that there are dealers in Ontario that will be getting some 2013 sooner than later.

I had order my 2012 back on May 31, 2011 and it still wasn't in by Jan 1, 2012. I made a few phone calls and found one 250 km away and was driving it by Jan 28, 2012.

Overspin 06-14-2012 11:01 AM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbench55 (Post 643127)
Are you limited to that one dealer? I am sure that there are dealers in Ontario that will be getting some 2013 sooner than later.

I had order my 2012 back on May 31, 2011 and it still wasn't in by Jan 1, 2012. I made a few phone calls and found one 250 km away and was driving it by Jan 28, 2012.

Yup....I can try that as soon as the 2013s start to ship.
Good suggestion, thanks.....and great ride in your profile pic.

Overspin 06-14-2012 11:04 AM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 643072)
Have you priced out an ML550? It will run about $20K more (US) comparably equipped to the Overland. I've taken a test ride in it and I don't feel its worth that much extra, but it is up to you. Good luck.

Right on....the ML550 is about $20K more....but there are a lot of them around now, and some low mileage demos are not much over the Overland price......still, I do prefer the Jeep if I decide to step away from waiting for the SRT8.

kbench55 06-14-2012 11:39 AM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overspin (Post 643190)
Yup....I can try that as soon as the 2013s start to ship.
Good suggestion, thanks.....and great ride in your profile pic.

mlarco52 ordered a jeep from Ontario this year and he was one of the first in Canada to get one. You might want to find out which dealer he ordered from as they seemed to be pretty quick.

Overspin 06-14-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Thanks, kbench55, will keep that in mind. I've been thinking to keep working with the local dealer first, since this will be my third Jeep and it is where all the service is done. They're a large volume dealer, but in a small town, so they're honest and reliable. Once I make a deal and have a build schedule, I'll make sure I have an out in case of a long production delay and can then go shopping for a stock unit after some deliveries are in. All of this assumes we can work out a deal pretty soon, but they have a little time to work on it once the 2013 pricing is released.

MikeBoom 06-14-2012 02:12 PM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
It seems odd that none are available. I know you're Up There, but in the Chicago metro area, when I do an inventory search on the Jeep website, they show 42 SRT-8s on dealer lots within a 50 mile radius.

Overspin 06-14-2012 02:34 PM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
It's just geography, population and a border MikeBoom.

Buffalo is just 50 miles south of here, and there are several available there too. Problem is, importing as an owner is a hassle. Instrument cluster has to be swapped out for metric (speed and kilometers travelled), and dealers have been known to not respect warranties on CDN registered vehicles purchased in the U.S. They did that to fight back when so many Canucks flocked south for the deals as our dollar appreciated. There used to be a huge difference of $10000.00 or more on premium vehicles that could be picked up because U.S. prices were so relatively low compared to here. Now the gap is closed, but the hassle remains.

Fewer delivered here too.....only 317 so far for all of Canada, and just 123 of those in Ontario, according to latest prod'n numbers from WK2 Jeeps.

MikeBoom 06-14-2012 02:56 PM

Re: Looooong wait....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overspin (Post 643284)
It's just geography, population and a border MikeBoom.

Buffalo is just 50 miles south of here, and there are several available there too. Problem is, importing as an owner is a hassle. Instrument cluster has to be swapped out for metric (speed and kilometers travelled), and dealers have been known to not respect warranties on CDN registered vehicles purchased in the U.S. They did that to fight back when so many Canucks flocked south for the deals as our dollar appreciated. There used to be a huge difference of $10000.00 or more on premium vehicles that could be picked up because U.S. prices were so relatively low compared to here. Now the gap is closed, but the hassle remains.

Fewer delivered here too.....only 317 so far for all of Canada, and just 123 of those in Ontario, according to latest prod'n numbers from WK2 Jeeps.

I figured as much. Maybe you should consider defecting.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community