Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Simonizing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/simonizing-43356.html)

iwearpumas 06-14-2012 05:15 PM

Simonizing

I took my snow white WK2 to the dealership and they saw my Jeep is were not happy. I live in the city, so we have a lot of birds and berry trees that leave droppings on my car. They basically warned me to be careful with the droppings and keep it clean. So I'm asking how do i keep it clean? Just regular car washes? Simoniz? Wax?

Robert Palmer 06-14-2012 05:49 PM

Re: Simonizing

I live in Manhattan and I understand your frustration with getting the Jeep dirty with so many possibilities of things to dirty your vehicle, I garage mine but still when its in use on the streets, it gets dirty.

I wash it twice a week usually at this hand wash place on RT3 in NJ. Every 2 months I wash, clay bar, polish, seal, then wax. Have to clay bar every 2 months because of the tar thats on the streets in Manhattan. :rolleyes:

Then once a year I correct the paint from the swirls, light marring. I'm due for that soon. :D

Find a place that does hand washing. Im not sure where you are at in NYC but I'm sure there is something in the outer boroughs that does hand washing.

And in between washings I use Meguiars ultimate quick detailer to keep it clean.

It all depends on how far you want to take it. I dont like a filthy Jeep.

Also check the detailing section here and check detailing forums like autopia.org, meguiarsonline.com, autogeek.net and get more information there.

Hope that helps.

iwearpumas 06-14-2012 06:16 PM

I live in UWS.

armoredsaint 06-14-2012 07:30 PM

simonizing? is that a term from the 1970's? ;)

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-14-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 643381)

Sadly some dealers still use that term lol

AAAA 06-15-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredsaint (Post 643381)

It's east coast.

Yadkin 06-15-2012 08:42 AM

Yeah from the 70s. 60s even. Modern waxes are so much easier.

Joecooool 06-15-2012 08:46 AM

Your dealer told you to wash your Jeep? Its a Jeep, Its supposed to get dirty.

An annual wax job is more than sufficient.

Jonkr15 06-15-2012 08:47 AM

Give it a good hand wash and use a clay bar if you can so you're starting with a fresh surface. Then just use a quality sealer (I recommend Zaino AIO with Z-2) and re-apply every 4-6 months. It may not be possible to always keep it clean in the city, but the sealer will help protect it from at least some of the elements.

Jonkr15 06-15-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 643574)
Your dealer told you to wash your Jeep? Its a Jeep, Its supposed to get dirty.

An annual wax job is more than sufficient.

Wax typically only lasts a short period of time so one time per year is definitely not more than sufficient. If you don't like to wax your car, then use a sealer. Even if you don't keep your car clean, it will keep the paint protected and make it last longer.

SW03ES 06-15-2012 05:20 PM

Especially using a carnuaba wax it'll be gone off the paint surface in a month probably, MAYBE 2 if you garage, so once a year the paint is unprotected for 10-11 months out of the year.

In NYC I'd use a polymer type sealant and do it once every other month.

BuckeyeSRT 06-15-2012 11:01 PM

Collinite #915 is a carnauba and lasts 6+ months for me