Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Smell after I turn off A/C (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/smell-after-i-turn-off-a-c-43393.html)

Aiyer 06-15-2012 05:50 PM

Smell after I turn off A/C

Guys...

This past couple of weeks has been warm and I used the a/c on the Jeep (2.5 month old Jeep) and when I turn the A/C off, I get a strange smell. It smells like there is a really old cabin air filter with fungus or something.

Do I need a trip to the stealer? or is there something I can check first. I did a search on the forums but found only 1 thread w/ smell (but an EVAP leak or something like that).

Any suggestions where I should start looking?

Thanks,
-Aiyer

rustyosaurus 06-15-2012 10:37 PM

Re: Smell after I turn off A/C

does it smell kind of like wet dog? i've noticed that smell (even though i actually own a dog that rides with me all the time) right when i get in the car and turn on the air - and sometimes shortly after.

Aiyer 06-15-2012 10:52 PM

I get it mostly after I shut off the a/c. No smell at start up. I also usually shut off a/c about a mile or more from my destination to let it dry... thats when I get this horrible smell. I have had the same smell on my wife's Mini cooper couple of years ago and it went away after I replaced the Cabin air filter. But, I should not be replacing the filter in a new jeep so soon... right?

turbospartan 02-24-2014 08:42 PM

Bump.

Got the Jeep washed last week and now I have a wet dog/rag smell. Not just on startup either.

Just replaced the cabin air filter and the smell is still there.

Thoughts? Must be standing water trapped somewhere from the car wash. Ideas?

aircrewguy 02-25-2014 12:17 AM

Mine just smells like cat pee whenever I stop or have to idle forward. :(

mike_svt 02-27-2014 12:27 PM

Mine too! That's exactly how I described it to the dealer. Their response: "It's probably the windshield washer fluid, it smells bad." Problem is, the Jeep was less than 4 weeks old and I hadn't used the windshield washer fluid at that point:confused:

Briant73 02-27-2014 12:38 PM

This could point to an issue where the AC coil condensation is not draining and mold/mildew is forming. The fix is usually correct the AC drain and if smell doesn't go away do an AC cleaning/refresh.

lstowell 02-27-2014 12:55 PM

The washer fluid smells bad?!!!

Cat pee/wet dog should be familiar to any dealer. On an older model, the service manager handed me a couple free cans of Frigi-Fresh and said come back for
the more intensive/extensive treatment if that wasn't good enough.

I'd look for trapped water somewhere, lift the passenger rugs, etc. and make sure on humid hot days, you see a pretty good stream of water under the A/C drain.