Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Keyless entry question. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/keyless-entry-question-43398.html)

Dollar 06-15-2012 09:33 PM

Keyless entry question.

Considering swapping out chrome handles with body colored. Maybe those that have done it can chime in.

Question: are the sensors in the handles specific to the transmitter? After the swap would I have to have the new handles programmed to match the transmitters? I'm thinking no, but my brother made me question it. I think the brains are in the dash somewhere and it just sends the signal to the handle and that the swap is simply plug and play.

Thanks.

Sent from a pay phone.

Dollar 06-19-2012 12:34 AM

???

Anyone?

Sent from a pay phone.

savvas 06-19-2012 01:39 AM

Re: Keyless entry question.

I havent done it but I believe the security smarts are inside the vehicle, and the sensors are not specific to the transmitter.

Tybalt39 06-19-2012 10:54 AM

From what I recall seeing in a drawing of the keyless entry system, the RFID transmitter/receiver is actually located in the door sill (under the floor trim, IIRC). The only sensor on the door handle is the capacitive body proximity sensor (similar to a touch sensitive light dimmer in your house) located on the backside of the handle to trigger the unlock function after the RFID system IDs the FOBIK.

While I can't be certain, I would think the sensor on the handle is just a "dumb" sensor sending a generic signal to the "brain" of the system to unlock the door(s). The security part of the process would be when the RFID senses and identifies your individual FOBIK.

JTS97Z28 06-19-2012 11:09 AM

Yeah I agree with whats said above. You should be able to just buy the parts, swap them in, and good to go.

James

mot250 11-11-2012 09:18 PM

Has anyone noticed their doors unlocking when hitting your GC door handles with a stream on water while washing the Jeep with your keyfob in your pocket?

I'm not touching the door handles or any part of the Jeep but running water on the handle area with the hose and I'll see the well known unlock door light blink signal.

I've started remembering to leave the keyfob in the house when washing the GC

BobsWK2 11-11-2012 09:22 PM

It's normal. I had a 2010 BMW M3 prior to the WK2 and it did the same thing.

thebigcat 11-11-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot250 (Post 709907)
Has anyone noticed their doors unlocking when hitting your GC door handles with a stream on water while washing the Jeep with your keyfob in your pocket?

I'm not touching the door handles or any part of the Jeep but running water on the handle area with the hose and I'll see the well known unlock door light blink signal.

this has happened to me 2-3 times in the last month while washing my WK2. Typically with my keys in my pocket and water hits the drivers side door handle. Jeep has either locked or unlocked.

WoodyCanuck 11-12-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot250 (Post 709907)

Whenever I wash mine by hand, the Keys are always inside the vehicle.
And I've never had it unlock/lock on me.
My spare is in the house, so thats why I'm not worried in case it did lock, but so far it hasn't (touch wood)