Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Uncomfortable Downshift at 40-MPH (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/uncomfortable-downshift-at-40-mph-43418.html)

AllBusiness 06-16-2012 02:22 PM

Uncomfortable Downshift at 40-MPH

First post here guys! First of all- thanks so much for creating such a great community of Jeep owners! Prior to posting this question, I've read through numerous thread regarding TSB, shuddering, etc.

Into : About 2 weeks agoI just purchased a used 2011 WK2 Overland - 5.7L Hemi 4x4. It has 28,000 miles and believe it was manufactured around 6/2010.

Problems: Although I love the interior and handling of the vehicle, I'm having some apprehensions about the driveability and performance. Specifically, there is a very awkward downshift when coasting around 40 mph (presumably 4th to 3rd?). There isn't any noise or clunking during the downshift, but oftentimes the shift is so abrupt that the cars lurches back slightly as though I've tapped the breaks. Needless to say, this makes city driving irritating and not so enjoyable. I also believe that I've felt the "shuddering" referenced by many owners 2-3 times, but not nearly as frequently as many have reported. My last concern has to do with the sensitivity of the initial acceleration. It's like the torque is geared so low that it is impossible to have smooth acceleration from 0-5 mph.

Is anyone experiencing theses problem? Is there a TSB that might resolve it? I love the Jeep but can't tolerate this much longer!

Thanks guys!

jp467 06-16-2012 11:16 PM

Re: Uncomfortable Downshift at 40-MPH

If its a 6/2010 build this is a very early one. There were some issues on some of these. You should be able to find out from a dealer if all the updates have been applied. I do remember a couple people in the past talking about a harsh downshift around 40 mph with the 5.7. I do not believe there is a tsb for this though and If I remember right the repair was tearing the trans down and replacing one of the clutches. As far as the shuddering it seemed most did not have success getting it resolved but it seems to have just gone away on the newer models. Do you know any of the history on it? I am assuming with it being that early of a build it does not have qudra lift is that correct?

AllBusiness 06-17-2012 08:06 AM

Great feedback. And yes- you are correct- no air suspension! You definitely know your Overlands.

Is there a thread here that discusses dealerships in various cities? I don't really trust dealerships but I'm in the Austin market...

peckmv 06-18-2012 05:29 AM

The trans in this JGC has many issues. The shuttering, hard shifting, surging going uphill at 40+, and its late downshift point when under load. I understand that there is a software fix in the works. I believe that Jeep was trying to get the gas mileage numbers for this vehicle and pushed the trans to squeak every bit of MPG they could to satisfy the gov mileage mandates. Hopefully they do something soon:mad:

JeepersCreepers 06-18-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 644569)
understand that there is a software fix in the works.

Awesome. Do you have a source for that information?

peckmv 06-18-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers (Post 644629)

No link. Just rumor. Hopefully its true because its surely needed.:motx:

JeepersCreepers 06-19-2012 10:57 AM

Milous, have you heard anything about an upcoming software update to improve the transmission shifting, etc.?

peckmv 06-20-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers (Post 644629)

FYI.;)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...35/index2.html

JeepersCreepers 06-20-2012 11:30 AM

Interesting, thanks. Looks like that guy has the Hemi -- I hope they also come out with an update for the 3.6L transmission, as if I do end up buying the WK2 I'll be getting the 3.6L.

Sucks it won't be out 'till December either. I plan on buying in September, so if after I test drive the WK2 and find the transmission annoying / poor performing as some of the others here do, I'd have to trust that the update, should one even become available for the 3.6L, would actually improve things...