Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Adding rear auto dim mirror to WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/adding-rear-auto-dim-mirror-to-wk-43487.html)

startech01 06-17-2012 05:02 PM

Adding rear auto dim mirror to WK

Hi,

Is it possible to replace the rear view mirror with an auto dim mirror?
I had a BMW with auto mirror which I found really handy, now with my Grand Cherokee WK I found myself missing it.

Obviously I need a new mirror and wiring which I will be able to get from ebay or a scrap yard but I need to know whether the plug is in the roof lining. Am hoping this will be plug & play.

If anyone has any advice that would be great :)

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-17-2012 10:26 PM

Re: Adding rear auto dim mirror to WK

Quote:

Originally Posted by startech01 (Post 644369)
Hi,

Is it possible to replace the rear view mirror with an auto dim mirror?
I had a BMW with auto mirror which I found really handy, now with my Grand Cherokee WK I found myself missing it.

Obviously I need a new mirror and wiring which I will be able to get from ebay or a scrap yard but I need to know whether the plug is in the roof lining. Am hoping this will be plug & play.

If anyone has any advice that would be great :)

Some have the wiring and some dont. Check in the headliner near the mirror to see if you can find the wire

kennzz05 06-18-2012 04:28 AM

if you find the mirror you need in the scrap yard and all the wiring is there dont forget the side mirrors as well as they are dimming too.just grab the glass i think its supposed to pop right off

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-19-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 644557)
if you find the mirror you need in the scrap yard and all the wiring is there dont forget the side mirrors as well as they are dimming too.just grab the glass i think its supposed to pop right off

you will need to run a seperate power wire to get the side mirror to dim, they are not plug and play

startech01 06-20-2012 01:50 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I think i'll just get the rear view mirror as the side mirrors sound like a bit of a hassle. I have bought a auto dim mirror from a WJ as they look the same and it was cheaper than one from a WK, so i'll try and make that work.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-20-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by startech01 (Post 645761)
Thanks for the replies.
I think i'll just get the rear view mirror as the side mirrors sound like a bit of a hassle. I have bought a auto dim mirror from a WJ as they look the same and it was cheaper than one from a WK, so i'll try and make that work.

They arent the same, you can find wk mirrors for under $20 at junkyards

Galaxie500 06-21-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 645329)
you will need to run a seperate power wire to get the side mirror to dim, they are not plug and play

I was wondering about this. I already have the auto dimming rearview mirror and wanted to add the same for the driver side outside mirror. I found a mirror on eBay that is powered, heated and dimmable. Do you know where you would you pick up the signal from the dimmable rearview to go to the outside mirror? Is it possible that the wire may already be there in my case since it came with the dimmable rearview mirror?:confused: