Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Battery Causes Stalling? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/battery-causes-stalling-43515.html)

swing4terps 06-18-2012 09:12 AM

Battery Causes Stalling?

Really glad I finally stopped being lazy and decided to become a supporter, because I've needed a lot of help lately...

My brother is getting rid of his Jeep due to some engine issues. About a year ago he bought a very nice Optima Red Top battery. Before he got rid of it I decided that I would swap the Optima out with my original battery.

His car had been sitting for a while, so when I installed the Optima in my Jeep last night, it didn't work. Hooked it up to a charger for 3 hours and it would turn over, but not start. So I decided to put my old battery back in given I had to work today and didn't want to deal with any possible issues.

On my way into work this morning with the original battery back in, I stalled out 5+ times. All when coming to a stop, or when making sudden stops. When stopped the RPMs would drop to 300-400 and finally give up. Usually they stay up around 500-600. A couple times when braking approaching a stop light the car would stall alltogether.

This is very annoying because the last 5 miles of my commute is city stop-n-go. I had to give it some gas (with foot on the brake) at stops to prevent from doing it more. After 15 miles of highway driving it still was stalling.

Any explanations? I used to stall out about 5 times a week prior to replacing my EGR a year ago. I have not had issues since. I really think it has something to do with the battery.

Madanio24 06-18-2012 09:19 AM

Re: Battery Causes Stalling?

Well i believe the proper way to charge an optima battery is to hook it up in parallel with a normal lead acid battery to charge it. In the manual it states they can not just be charged off a battery charger. Also if your car is cranking and starting right back up after it stalls it is most lilkely not your battery because you have plenty of juice to start the car. Could be just a coincidence it happened right after you swapped the batteries. Sounds like a sensor problem to me.

swing4terps 06-18-2012 11:01 AM

Would any sensors just go completely bad like that?

Is there something that gets reset with a battery reset that could be causing it? Can't say I've reset my battery since replacing the EGR to notice if this happens.

Scottina06 06-18-2012 12:45 PM

def. sounds like the battery. mIne did the same thing when the battery started to go

Madanio24 06-18-2012 12:45 PM

Could just be coincidence if your car is starting fine it means it has plenty of power so the battery is not bad. Just check the battery wiring for corrosion and make sure the battery ground is good.

swing4terps 06-18-2012 12:51 PM

Yes, the car started back up every time which is wierd.

However it is way too odd that the car doesn't stall once in a year then stalls the first time I drive it after taking the battery out for 3 hours and putting it back in.

Madanio24 06-18-2012 12:52 PM

Is very odd. Check connections

JMLoughrey 06-18-2012 11:13 PM

if the car is running and stalling out, and starting up again, its not the battery. Even if you start the vehicle and pull the entire battery out your car will stay running, battery is only in the equation to start the vehicle.

HOWEVER, the WKs are stupidly sensitive and if you maybe have a bad cell in the battery that isnt taking a charge right it could be freaking out the alternator, which in turns freaks out the computers and all goes to hell in a handbasket right quick.

dr.lee.baugh 06-19-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 644952)
if the car is running and stalling out, and starting up again, its not the battery. Even if you start the vehicle and pull the entire battery out your car will stay running, battery is only in the equation to start the vehicle.

While this was true of older vehicles, I do not believe it is the case today.
Most current alternators require a DC current from the battery to charge the rotor so that when it spins the three stator fields pick up the field energy. Without the battery in the equation, there is no DC current for the alternator to use.

Of course, that is an aside to the risk you would run by disconnecting your battery as the vehicle is running...could generate all sorts of power spikes, etc., and fry all of your vehicles fancy electronics.

...Just didn't want anyone to attempt this "alternator test" and end up damaging things!

dr.lee.baugh 06-19-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 644616)
Really glad I finally stopped being lazy and decided to become a supporter, because I've needed a lot of help lately...

My brother is getting rid of his Jeep due to some engine issues. About a year ago he bought a very nice Optima Red Top battery. Before he got rid of it I decided that I would swap the Optima out with my original battery.

His car had been sitting for a while, so when I installed the Optima in my Jeep last night, it didn't work. Hooked it up to a charger for 3 hours and it would turn over, but not start. So I decided to put my old battery back in given I had to work today and didn't want to deal with any possible issues.

On my way into work this morning with the original battery back in, I stalled out 5+ times. All when coming to a stop, or when making sudden stops. When stopped the RPMs would drop to 300-400 and finally give up. Usually they stay up around 500-600. A couple times when braking approaching a stop light the car would stall alltogether.

This is very annoying because the last 5 miles of my commute is city stop-n-go. I had to give it some gas (with foot on the brake) at stops to prevent from doing it more. After 15 miles of highway driving it still was stalling.

Any explanations? I used to stall out about 5 times a week prior to replacing my EGR a year ago. I have not had issues since. I really think it has something to do with the battery.

As stated above, a loose/poor connection at the battery is a possible source. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure these vehicles use the voltage at the battery as a reference for cycling the alternator. If this reference voltage is unstable, the alternator output is not properly matched to the electrical needs of the vehicle, and you get stalling/surging/poor idle.

As also stated above, it could just be a coincidence. If it was my vehicle, I'd try swapping in another battery and seeing what happens. I also wouldn't put too much faith in a parts store's battery diagnostic, as I have had many occassions when the battery tests fine, but still is the source of problems.

swing4terps 06-19-2012 10:54 AM

Well my brother's Optima was on the charger for 3 hours last night and I threw that one back in to see if I could get it to start up. No luck, so I think that battery is done. Luckily it is only a year and a half old, so I can take it back and get a new one for free.

My original battery is in the car for now. Yesterday it stalled twice in city driving. Drove it 15 highway/rural miles with no stall, pulled into my driveway put it in park, and it stalled instantly. Left the Jeep home today.

With the original battery the car will always start, albeit it struggled two times yesterday. It'll stay at about 700-800RPMs for about 20 seconds then start a rough idle, RPMs drop to 3-400 and interior lights pulse with the idle. Eventually it will stall out.

After work I'm going to get the multimeter and check the voltage to test the alternator. If everything looks OK there, I'll go get a new battery and see how that goes.

Madanio24 06-19-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swing4terps (Post 645124)
Well my brother's Optima was on the charger for 3 hours last night and I threw that one back in to see if I could get it to start up. No luck, so I think that battery is done. Luckily it is only a year and a half old, so I can take it back and get a new one for free.

My original battery is in the car for now. Yesterday it stalled twice in city driving. Drove it 15 highway/rural miles with no stall, pulled into my driveway put it in park, and it stalled instantly. Left the Jeep home today.

With the original battery the car will always start, albeit it struggled two times yesterday. It'll stay at about 700-800RPMs for about 20 seconds then start a rough idle, RPMs drop to 3-400 and interior lights pulse with the idle. Eventually it will stall out.

After work I'm going to get the multimeter and check the voltage to test the alternator. If everything looks OK there, I'll go get a new battery and see how that goes.

You can not charge an optima with a regular battery charger. youy need to hook it up in parallel with a regular battery and then to the charger.