Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Question about 20" tire handling. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/question-about-20-tire-handling-43577.html)

ColinIllinois 06-19-2012 02:50 PM

Question about 20" tire handling.

First time JGCO owner and this is the first time I've had tires this size/width. Bear with me on what may be a stupid question but when I'm driving I get the feeling I'm all over the road and the tires are very sensitive to road angles, etc. My assumption is that because the tires are so wide they are going to tend to wander unlike smaller regular car tires.

Is this correct? I love my JGCO but I'm just finding it odd to get used to the road handling characteristics.

Thanks in advance.

Yadkin 06-19-2012 03:47 PM

Re: Question about 20" tire handling.

I'm not sure what you mean by "road angles". Do you mean cross slope?

Relwarc 06-19-2012 04:07 PM

What you're describing is commonly referred to as "tram lining". Its when the road has lines, cracks, or grooves, the tires tend to follow them. As if they are on rails, (ie a tram line).

This can be all kinds of things. Generally you see it with wider or more aggressive performance tires. The ones on my SRT do it as well.

Its normal. As far as I'm concerned. The less "grippy" or thinner the contact patch, the less the tire will want to follow lines in the road

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ColinIllinois 06-20-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 645272)
I'm not sure what you mean by "road angles". Do you mean cross slope?

Yes sir, I believe that's a better term.

ColinIllinois 06-20-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 645279)
What you're describing is commonly referred to as "tram lining". Its when the road has lines, cracks, or grooves, the tires tend to follow them. As if they are on rails, (ie a tram line).

This can be all kinds of things. Generally you see it with wider or more aggressive performance tires. The ones on my SRT do it as well.

Its normal. As far as I'm concerned. The less "grippy" or thinner the contact patch, the less the tire will want to follow lines in the road

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

And the wider tires would do this also on a road lane that's not even but slopes to the right or left?

thanks.

Yadkin 06-20-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinIllinois (Post 645581)
Yes sir, I believe that's a better term.

I haven't had my Jeep long enough to have it re-aligned, but excessive cross slope drift is caused by not enough caster. It's impossible to get rid of it completely. I don't think that tire width has anything to do with it.

If it concerns you then have your dealer check the alignment and see what the caster setting for each front wheel is and how that compares with the manufacturer's recommendations.

I'm sure some bright Jeepster here will tell us what the specification is and if it is adjustable in the WK2.

brandont 06-26-2012 07:24 AM

Not sure about caster, but toe settings will definitely cause your car to fall more to the low side of the crown. More toe in will cause it to drive more straight - in a sense ignoring the crown. Toe in is more stable. 0 Toe is sometimes vague. Toe out feels like the car has ADD.

It could also be the tire width or tread pattern. In my experience both can make a difference. Wider tires can grab the sides of narrow ruts more easily but tread patterns can wander on the raking they put in concrete now.

I would start with an alignment check and see where that stands first. Then maybe consider different tires if the alignment doesn't help.

Yadkin 06-26-2012 09:18 AM

Here is a thread about alignment specs that should be of interest. http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=43711&page=2

Apparently the factory caster is 4.4 to 5.6 degrees. Some have recommended going as high at 7.5 degrees.

It is my understanding that a slight positive toe is to take into account the deflection of the suspension during hard braking, so that the tires are then lined up 0 degrees to the intended line of travel.