Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Cam swap...what else? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/cam-swap-what-else-43578.html)

Stickerbombed 06-19-2012 03:11 PM

Cam swap...what else?

I just ordered a sidewinder cam and a 6.1 valve spring and pushrod set. I currently run a superchips tuned hemi.
MY questions are:
a) Should I go with a different tuner? I like the trans pressure increase of the superchips but its a canned tune and I was assuming a DS would be better but I want to retain the trans tuning so i dont know.
b) Do i need anything else or should I do anything else while its apart? Does a 180 degree tstat help at all?

Relwarc 06-19-2012 04:10 PM

a) the motor will defiantly need to be professionally tuned if you change the cam. But that will probably come with the install.

b) a cooler engine is a happier engine....do eet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Stickerbombed 06-19-2012 04:21 PM

Re: Cam swap...what else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 645283)
a) the motor will defiantly need to be professionally tuned if you change the cam. But that will probably come with the install.

b) a cooler engine is a happier engine....do eet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm installing the cam myself so it will not be coming with the install. I was assuming the tuning would have to be done....I'll have to buy a CRM tune I guess and a predator.

4.whoa 06-19-2012 05:48 PM

Is superships the same as SCT? If so, contact Flyinryan, he'll get you hooked up!

Stickerbombed 06-19-2012 06:03 PM

I already have a SCT....my question is do i need a diablosport for a custom tune and the answer seems to be yes

4.whoa 06-19-2012 06:11 PM

No. Ryan does CMR's for SCT. the DS just has different trans schedules and better logging. been thinking about changing, but i need to curb my spending for a bit.
Check in his vender section.

Chaoul1 06-19-2012 07:05 PM

Post up pics of the Cam Install! I love seeing pictures of progess!

Stickerbombed 06-19-2012 07:08 PM

I will. My buddy builds motors for a living so i figured it would be a good learning experience for me. I do all my own work for the most part and did my superlift and everything myself so I figure motor work is clearly the next step

dmsfun 06-20-2012 12:38 PM

There is no beneift to putting in a single stage 180 degree thermostat in a street driven Hemi, and will likely cause more engine wear. If it is a high comp. race track driven / blown hemi, that is a different story. THe Hemi is engineered to work most efficiently with the stock 195 degree 2 stage t-stat which will get the motor up to operating temp (and the heater) sooner, and run with the mixture at the optimum temp. to minimize wear. Definitley get the MM 85 MM ported TB to go wih your sidewinder, well worth the $ as the Hemi responds better at all RPM.

FlyinRyan 06-20-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.whoa (Post 645325)
Is superships the same as SCT? If so, contact Flyinryan, he'll get you hooked up!

No, 2 separate companies, 2 separate tuners.

180* stat is recommended for the sake of detonation resistance.

amw5 06-20-2012 04:07 PM

SCT is not the same as Superchips...you have both?
The SW cam is very tame. Your Superchips tune should be fine for the time being. It'll at least run, until you get a custom tune. I'd get the 180* stat. My SuperSpartan cam ran very well on an SCT tune.

Stickerbombed 06-21-2012 10:13 AM

I ordered a predator and im going with a cmr tune