Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   dual cab conversion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/dual-cab-conversion-43599.html)

topspark 06-19-2012 09:10 PM

dual cab conversion

Maybe a stupid question ( but maybe not )
Has anyone tried to convert the GC WK2, into a form of dual cab ute?
cheers

walterhudson 06-19-2012 11:49 PM

Re: dual cab conversion

Quote:

Originally Posted by topspark (Post 645434)
Maybe a stupid question ( but maybe not )
Has anyone tried to convert the GC WK2, into a form of dual cab ute?
cheers

WTF is a dual cab ute?

volotage 06-20-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterhudson (Post 645523)
WTF is a dual cab ute?

maybe u know it as a pick up?

brandont 06-20-2012 07:04 AM

Not that it COULDN'T be done, but it would be a real PITA. You'd be cutting body panels and removing a lot of structure. The rear quarter glass would be a problem due to it's location and you wouldn't have any sides or base to use for the bed. The spare location wouldn't work either. And of course unless you extend the back, once you get done you would only have a 3' bed or so. I see all kinds of issues with this but if you throw enough money at it (probably more than the cost of the new GC alone) then I'm sure someone can do it.

topspark 06-20-2012 11:52 PM

Hello Gents
Sorry, yes it is a pickup.
Dual cab ( front and back seats ).
The reason for the enquiry, was that in Australia, our pickups are crap.
We have nothing like a chevy avalanche, size and more importantly, finish.
And the internal fit outs and options leave a lot to be desired.
Hence the question with the wk2.
It has a lot of gear for the dollars.
And as there is nothing like this locally......
cheers

Aiyer 06-20-2012 11:54 PM

Someone did that on a ZJ. I remember seeing a picture of it on one of the forums.. jeepforum perhaps.

savvas 06-21-2012 03:54 AM

WK2 is a unitary construction, so there is no chassis underneath it. It would be quite difficult and expensive to do.

AAAA 06-21-2012 05:54 AM

Hard to believe you have such a bad selection of pick ups in oz. In USA we have an incredible selection of pick up options. If I was a large manufacturer the first thing I would do, after filling up Texas with trucks, is send them down under. Do you not have the full sized Nissan and Toyota pick ups with 4 doors there? When I was there I remember seeing many compact pick ups, but I was not really paying much attention to vehicles after the first couple days.

savvas 06-21-2012 06:12 PM

There isnt anything like a RAM, Avalanche, Silverado, etc., unless you but it from an importer or import it yourself.

The biggest 4 door utes ... ahem, pickups ... we have are generally the asian units that in the US would be considered compacts.

FAUEE 06-21-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvas (Post 646336)
There isnt anything like a RAM, Avalanche, Silverado, etc., unless you but it from an importer or import it yourself.

The biggest 4 door utes ... ahem, pickups ... we have are generally the asian units that in the US would be considered compacts.

You get the Hilux, Maloo, and a ton of other great trucks. I can't feel bad for you, sorry. I would trade the Ram, Avalanche, Silverado, and F-150 for the FPV and HSV goodies y'all get.

An FWIW, it's commonly held that the import trucks (you likely get the Navarre, which is our Frontier, and the Hilux is a better version of our Tacoma) are better than the domestics. The only reason to get the fullsize trucks is if you NEED a V8 or more space, and the fullsizes are the last holdout of the domestic trucks.

FWIW, the fit and finish and options on them leave a lot to be desired here too. As does fuel economy.

In any case, for what you're wanting to do, the Wrangler Unlimited is a much better starting place.

xJoshxx 06-22-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiyer (Post 646031)
Someone did that on a ZJ. I remember seeing a picture of it on one of the forums.. jeepforum perhaps.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...j-pickup-truck

there have been a few all of them suffered greatly frame sags and other junk

topspark 06-22-2012 07:18 PM

gday AAAA
The biggest problem with direct importing of the USA vehicles, is they need to be changed to RH drive, and this nearly doubles the cost.
An example, the avalanche, which I think you can get for around $40k, in Australia converted, around $110k. ( also realising import / freight costs!
cheers