Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Cherokee-SJ and XJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/)
-   -   Death Wobble (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f19/death-wobble-43602.html)

photousa 06-19-2012 09:46 PM

Death Wobble

Hey All, Trying to help a friend out with his 1994 Cherokee 4.0. He's experiencing a death wobble in his front end, at around 60 to 70 mph,...nearly shakes the steering wheel out of his hand. His shop says he needs both tracking bars replaced and shocks, total cost at around $700. Is there anything less expensive he can do to get him by to correct this in the short run? Is there a tutorial thread anyone can point us to, to try to solve this issue? Thanks

photousa 06-21-2012 08:27 AM

Re: Death Wobble

No one's ever had this issue?

Antonio186 06-21-2012 09:43 AM

is this jeep lifted or stock height?

Frango100 06-21-2012 02:12 PM

Death wobble is normally caused by play in bushings and rod ends of suspension and steering. Also a bad working steering stabilizer can add to it. Don't think that bad shocks will be a cause for death wobble, but it can increase the effect.
If your friend is a little bit handy or you are, you could do the job yourself and save some bucks.
Be very carefull with this and don't leave it unattended, because as the name already mentiones, this fenomena can be quite dangerous and cause an accident

photousa 06-21-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 646141)
is this jeep lifted or stock height?

Thanks, it's all stock

photousa 06-21-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 646255)
Death wobble is normally caused by play in bushings and rod ends of suspension and steering. Also a bad working steering stabilizer can add to it. Don't think that bad shocks will be a cause for death wobble, but it can increase the effect.
If your friend is a little bit handy or you are, you could do the job yourself and save some bucks.
Be very carefull with this and don't leave it unattended, because as the name already mentiones, this fenomena can be quite dangerous and cause an accident

Thanks Frank Are there any tutorials out there with this site or others where someone has gone in and replaced a few parts to address this issue? Any step by step with photos?

i appreciate your help and will pass everything on to my friend out in Arizona.

Frango100 06-21-2012 09:00 PM

I have red about the death wobble on WJs.
The whole front suspension should be checked for worn bushings of the control arms and especially for play on all the steering rod ends. All parts with play or which are worn, should be replaced. Im not familiar with the Cherokee, but on the grand cherokee there is only one track bar, it keeps the whole front axle fixed axially. The control arms keep the axle fixed laterally.
Also not well balanced wheels, uneven tire pressure, worn ball joints of the suspension or worn wheel bearings are also suspects of causing the death wobble.

Archer9 06-22-2012 05:54 AM

Don't forget to check the steering gear itself. Mine developed some play in it on my XJ. It was a DIY job to change it out with a rebuilt unit, but pulling the Pitman arm off the old one was a major pia even with good pullers.

photousa 06-22-2012 08:01 AM

Thanks Frango !

photousa 06-22-2012 08:01 AM

Thanks Archer, will pass all of this great advice along..

a990dna 07-08-2012 01:14 AM

Tell him to replace the control arm bushings and the axle isolators and it should tighten things up again.

dodgeboyslp 07-10-2012 10:18 PM

Running oversized tires can also cause this. Mine started doing it when I went up 2 tires sizes over stock. Now I'm looking into putting dual stabilizer shocks on the steering link to control the problem. I'm sure in my case the problem is the bigger / heavier tires.