Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Locked out (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/locked-out-43605.html)

Hickers 06-20-2012 02:50 AM

Locked out

Can you lock the keys in? Yes u can! We know cause it happened to us at Fraser Range campgrounds. Both keys in the car jumped out and brushed the lock button on the way out. So there we were, all our gear in the car and the keys inside and 100ks east of Norseman on our way back to Melbourne. Jeep assist came to our rescue the next day and covered accomodation cost though I did have to pay tech an extra $50 due to the distance from town. Lucky we were not further away and were able to borrow a phone and our tent and sleeping gear was on the roofrack!!

New procedure now, key in pocket always!!

900ks into the days drive today averaging under 11lp100k with loaded roofrack and good average speed. Great car but watch those fancy keys!!

Ps took an hour to break in!

allypally 06-20-2012 05:58 AM

Re: Locked out

I thought you couldnt lock the car with the key inside.... unless you hit the handle on the passenger side. I always leave the key in my pocket and never leave it on the console.
Such a problem when touring. You need to feel safe by carrying both keys, and then you end up leaving both in the car. I think someone was looking at those tow hitch safes, but I thought they considered it too close to the car.

ENFORCER 06-20-2012 06:18 AM

How did they open the car ?

scarps 06-20-2012 06:39 AM

Hhmm, not near my car at the moment to check this, but what's the difference between the keys being in your pocket or in your car? Why wouldn't the driver or passenger door just open as long as the keys are in range?

AussieWK2 06-20-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarps (Post 645590)
Hhmm, not near my car at the moment to check this, but what's the difference between the keys being in your pocket or in your car? Why wouldn't the driver or passenger door just open as long as the keys are in range?

Good question. Hickers, stating the obvious I know but did you just try any of the handles?

Hickers 06-20-2012 06:49 AM

I can promise u it locks with no warning even though the manual says no!! One key was on console other in bag on passenger floor. It is a horrible feeling when stuck miles from nowhere. Worse still after 45 minutes of trying the tech was talking about smashing window. Couldn't put on his tilt tray as in park!!

I had jumped in car to put windows up and once it locked itself it was asking me to start the engine, jeep humor???

savvas 06-20-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarps (Post 645590)

Damn good question.

Though I guess the car can triangulate the keys, figure out that they are inside, and anyone outside must be trying to break in. Therefore wont open.

I reckon it would be worth cutting an extra copy of the emergency key and keeping it separate from the fobs. You can then open the old fashioned way.

Hickers 06-20-2012 07:54 AM

Yes we did try all the handles and butt

Hickers 06-20-2012 07:57 AM

Yes we did try all the doors and buttons multiple times in the hope it was all a bad dream. How did we get in, not telling!! But you need a wooden spoon!

scarps 06-20-2012 08:38 AM

Hhmm!

allypally 06-20-2012 05:51 PM

Wooden Spoon? Do you put that under the car, light it, and then when the car catches alight, the windows burst, then you can unlock?

eibyer 06-20-2012 07:02 PM

Wait, is this an Aussi folk tale or something LOL.