Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Can I mix High mileage Full synthetic with regular High Mileage? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/can-i-mix-high-mileage-full-synthetic-with-regular-high-mileage-43607.html)

sergioad89 06-20-2012 05:58 AM

Can I mix High mileage Full synthetic with regular High Mileage?

I will be doing my first oil change today... I've always gone to the 10 minute shops before and with a:

4.0L Laredo with 115k miles,

My concern is: I bought Mobil Super High Mileage 10w-30 (5 quart container), and since it said I needed 6 quarts with new filter, I bought Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic 10w-30 (1 quart container) -- is there going to be a problem when mixing the two?

Thanks for any help! :D

J1Jeep 06-20-2012 07:18 AM

Re: Can I mix High mileage Full synthetic with regular High Mileage?

Check the Mobil web site. As far as I can remember you can mix the two but the performance of the Mobil one will be reduced by mixing it with regular oil.

JeepNut 06-20-2012 07:22 AM

Any new oil is better then what is in there at the moment. Want hurt anything IMO, not like your pouring diesel oil in (which in fact wont hurt it either)
Go ahead and pour your syn 1 quart in the mix.

sergioad89 06-20-2012 08:40 AM

Ok, I also got K&N Performance Gold oil filter, was that a good choice?

J1Jeep 06-20-2012 09:56 AM

Yes, good choice, I think you're always safe with a K&N product. Sounds like you are good to go! :)

01grand 06-20-2012 10:24 AM

K&N, mobil, and purolator pure one are all very good oil filters. As far as mixing regular and synthetic, there will be no problem. Some of the performance characteristics of the synthetic will be reduced, but it will be no worse than throwing in just regular oil. Modern chemistry is an amazing thing!

TJXJWJ 06-20-2012 10:32 AM

K&N oil filters are all I'll use...it's worth it just for the nut on the end. I don't own an oil filter wrench because of these bad boys. Just a 1" socket.

Frango100 06-21-2012 10:18 AM

Not sure if it would be a good idea to mix dino oil with synthetic. Due to the different ways they are made and the different additives used to get the type of oil and specifications needed, there is a change that by mixing them, you could get some not wanted side effects. For example dino oil 10W30 is made of a base 10 grade oil (cold viscocity) and additives make it a 30 grade oil at operating temperature. Synthetic oils are different, 10W30 is made of a base 30 grade oil at operating temperatures and the additives made it as a 10 grade oil when cold. So they use completely different additives to reach each goal.
So when mixing the 2 you would not be sure what the viscocity would be at the different temperatures.
In emergency cases when no other oil is available it would be possible to mix both, but to use it during an oil change for the full 5000-8000 Km i would not take the risk.

honda_fox3 06-30-2012 06:38 AM

They sell synthetic blend which is basically a mix of the 2 so shouldn't be a problem. I personally would try to keep it as close to 50/50 mix as possible but thats just me.