Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   going to Add oem hids to laredo (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/going-to-add-oem-hids-to-laredo-43645.html)

gc4x4 06-20-2012 05:35 PM

going to Add oem hids to laredo

I just bought both oem hid headlights of of ebay for my 12; laredo, how hard is it to install these? is there a special wiring adapter that i will need or is it plug and play? Would a aftermarket ballast and bulbs work with the headlights as well? Thanks:thumbsup:

fljeepleo 06-20-2012 06:02 PM

I believe it is quite involved. Wiring differences all the way to the dash.

Good luck! Make sure you do a write up when your done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

armoredsaint 06-20-2012 06:09 PM

Re: going to Add oem hids to laredo

good luck for taking it on.

jgc4ever 06-20-2012 06:31 PM

Scottina06 (owner of this site) did this on his Durango. Same idea. Here's the thread http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=40073 . I'm sure he'll answer any questions you'll have.

gc4x4 06-21-2012 01:36 AM

I think im going to use aftermarket bulbs and ballasts to avoid messing with the wiring ,
i found these bulbs/ballasts on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en which i think will work with the headlights,i just want to double check before i order them. thanks

peckmv 06-21-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 646047)
I think im going to use aftermarket bulbs and ballasts to avoid messing with the wiring ,
i found these bulbs/ballasts on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en which i think will work with the headlights,i just want to double check before i order them. thanks

Just remember the old saying...."You get what you pay for"

These are junk and they will result in junk. Real xenon HID systems don't sell for $150. You will end up with a bright white washed out beam that is illegal and doesn't do as well as what you have now. Do what you want, but you might want to think twice before you do this.:notsigned:

JTS97Z28 06-21-2012 08:02 AM

Cool choice on deciding to add OEM HID's to your Laredo. I think it should be relatively straight forward since you don't need to use the auto leveling feature so that eliminates huge complications. As you need is your standard power when switch on like any normal headlight.
As for bulbs and ballasts, do NOT get some cheapo kit trust me. I know it will costs more but get OEM quality components. Most OEM bulbs are 4300K in color temperature and either made by Phillips or Osram.

gc4x4 06-21-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 646107)
Cool choice on deciding to add OEM HID's to your Laredo. I think it should be relatively straight forward since you don't need to use the auto leveling feature so that eliminates huge complications. As you need is your standard power when switch on like any normal headlight.
As for bulbs and ballasts, do NOT get some cheapo kit trust me. I know it will costs more but get OEM quality components. Most OEM bulbs are 4300K in color temperature and either made by Phillips or Osram.

I think your right on the cheap kit, if anybody would like to help me find the philips/osram bulbs/ballasts id appreciate it. I want to plan this out very carefully as i want to avoid any problems. Of course i plan to do a write up once this is completed. Thanks

Scottina06 06-21-2012 11:28 AM

the way I did it was to buy the oem repair harness for the drivers side(silly...but there isnt one for the pass side) I have all the pin outs etc. in my thread in the durango forum. Basically though....I just needed that repair harness and the canbus fix harnesses from justforjeeps.

Now for the passenger side I had to improvise since theres no repair harness to use...therefore no oem connector for the oass headlight. I went simple...I bought a phillips d1s ballast that included the power/ground wiring and the bulb wire. I think it was from some sort of cadillac. Then I wired a plug into the power and ground for the canbus fix to plug into. Then I just cut a whole in the rubber bulb cover and siliconed it up for the bulb wire to run through. Plug the can bus fix harnesses directly into the h11 low beam bulb connector....all the other plugs are the same on the durango. One problem you may run into on the WK2...is its bi-xenon. Theers a few threads here discussing all this already.

Heres the part #'s needed

drivers repair harness and plug-68052582AA

canbus fix harness at xenondepot-
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/CANBUS-Fix-p/cbfix.htm

You will also need 1 h11 plug to wire into d1s ballast shown below

here is the ballast I bought from the caddy
http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t...ddyballast.jpg

FAUEE 06-21-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 646094)
Just remember the old saying...."You get what you pay for"

These are junk and they will result in junk. Real xenon HID systems don't sell for $150. You will end up with a bright white washed out beam that is illegal and doesn't do as well as what you have now. Do what you want, but you might want to think twice before you do this.:notsigned:

Except that's totally inaccurate.

HID systems are cheap, a $30 kit is just as good as a $250 kit, which in most cases is just as good as the OEM equipment. The real cost for the system is in the optics, the headlights/projectors. In his case, he's buying those OEM parts, so he won't have to worry.

Will you get better quality parts from Phillips or Osram? Sure. But really the only way to be sure you're getting the better quality parts is to buy them as OEM parts, either out of a wreck or with your first born from a dealership. The rest of the kits on the market are all the same cheap chinese-made junk. You can pay more for it, but all you're getting is a different sticker on it. Personally, I'd either go full OEM pieces, or just go with some DDM stuff.

The only issue I would see is that the OEM projectors have auto-leveling, and I'm not sure if they would include a manual levelling adjustment.

Scottina06 06-21-2012 07:58 PM

Not trying to start anything with you.....but that's a VERY uninformed post. Ask the folks that bought the xentec kits from a vendor here to compare them to a xenondepot kit. Not even in the same league. And not all aftermarket kits are made in China.......

ajs800 06-22-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 646342)
Except that's totally inaccurate.

HID systems are cheap, a $30 kit is just as good as a $250 kit, which in most cases is just as good as the OEM equipment. The real cost for the system is in the optics, the headlights/projectors. In his case, he's buying those OEM parts, so he won't have to worry.

Will you get better quality parts from Phillips or Osram? Sure. But really the only way to be sure you're getting the better quality parts is to buy them as OEM parts, either out of a wreck or with your first born from a dealership. The rest of the kits on the market are all the same cheap chinese-made junk. You can pay more for it, but all you're getting is a different sticker on it. Personally, I'd either go full OEM pieces, or just go with some DDM stuff.

The only issue I would see is that the OEM projectors have auto-leveling, and I'm not sure if they would include a manual levelling adjustment.

Not even close to being true... A $40-$75 pair of generic D1S xenon bulbs(or any type for that matter) does not compare to an OEM or phillips/Osram Bulb. I've tried a bunch of different bulbs in a vehicle with projector lenses and the difference was night and day compared to the orig Osram bulb. There might be ballasts that match the oem given it's basically a power supply, but totally not true with the bulbs, hence the vast difference in price.

-