Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Orange peel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/orange-peel-43690.html)

savvas 06-21-2012 06:45 PM

Orange peel

Hi all,

One of the things that is annoying about the paint finish is the amount of "peel" in the clear coat. A lot of cars have this these days, and even prestige brands like BMW, Ferrari and Porsche suffer from it.

I've been looking at how some people lightly wet sanding with 2000 grit on other forums, especially BMW. Some of the results are mind blowing however I have a mental block about thinning out the clear coat to get a result.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=526225

Has anyone done anything about it on there GC? If so, what did you do?

Yadkin 06-21-2012 07:39 PM

Re: Orange peel

I haven't done it on my GC, but I have an 05 Mustang for my kids which had been repainted before I bought it and the hood has started to darken, so after trying progressively more aggressive compounding, I finally went to 1500 grit to try and get it off, removing the orange peel as well. It didn't lighten the color but that's another story.

The procedure is not for the average DIYer. If you don't have an expensive paint gauge that tells you how thick the clear coat is then you take the chance to sand through it into the color. The cheaper gauges only measure total paint thickness. At that point you're only recourse is to redo that section with new clear.

If you decide to go ahead, watch plenty of youtube videos on how guys do it.

You need to sand by hand in a straight motion, using a selection of rubber or hard foam rubber sanding pads (never directly with your hands). Use water from a spray bottle to lubricate and keep the paper from clogging. Avoid raised angles and edges completely (some guys mask these off). Use a pile of microfiber towels to keep the debris off and use a strong light to determine when you've gone far enough.

After you have the whole vehicle done then you go over it again with 2000 grit to take the scratches off. Then a compound at least two grit stages with a double action polisher, then finally with a polishing compound. Compound manufactures usually don't print what the grit is on the label but Google is your friend.

The whole procedure takes a full day.

Its very difficult to do a perfect job your first time so I'd suggest trying it out on an older vehicle before you sand on your new baby.

JTS97Z28 06-21-2012 09:44 PM

Orange peel is how all cars come new it's just how the painting process goes now. It personally doesn't bother me since thats how it comes new. I wouldn't mess with sanding it as it would be a lot of work and there is always the risk of sanding through the clear.

Scottina06 06-21-2012 10:09 PM

it was done to my Durango for the SEMA show. The paint is awesome now! So much deeper and wet than other new durangos/wk2's I have been around

Yadkin 06-22-2012 07:52 AM

Yeah if you do it right the paint looks like a damn mirror.

savvas 06-24-2012 06:44 AM

Thanks for all the responses, especially Yadkin.

I decided I wont do anything about it as I dont want to compromise the clear coat.

Scottina06 06-24-2012 03:44 PM

they use like 2000 grit or higher wet sand paper and then buff it to a shine. They arent gonna hurt the clear. Just research and find a shop that does this reguarly.

SW03ES 06-25-2012 04:40 PM

I would pay a professional to have it done if you're not experienced with not only the sanding but also the machine buffing required to polish the paint out afterwards.

Pros can do it without removing a whole lot of clear too.

scarpi 06-25-2012 04:41 PM

I had a 2005 Mustang GT with the exterior color Redfire (a metallic deep red) and it looked beautiful except when you looked close it had orange peel all over it. Then I noticed other Mustangs built later that did not have much orange peel. My 02 Yukon which I will be trading in on a new Jeep GC does not have that much orange peel. I was hoping that the Jeep GC would have a better paint job. It appears that it will vary during production and some vehicles will have more than others just like Ford or Chevy. At least if you don't order your vehicle, you can be picky at the dealers lot and pick one that has less if you like the color. That's probably what I will do. Orange peel is just a common thing with factory paint jobs today. :(

Angler 06-25-2012 07:35 PM

^^ Just because you order a vehicle doesn't mean you have to accept it as is. I think you would have a better shot at getting orange peel fixed with a vehicle you ordered (and thus one you will be happier with) as opposed to settling for the vehicle with the least peel on the lot. I would tell the dealer after my pre-delivery inspection that they need to correct the orange peel and whatever else needs attention or I don't take it. At that point they can decide to make me happy and get the balance due on the vehicle or refund my deposit and add another vehicle to their inventory.

scarpi 06-27-2012 06:40 PM

I'm not so sure I would trust a dealer to do a good job removing orange peel from a new vehicle I ordered. There are some good dealers and there are some that can't even do an oil change properly (I've experienced that from another manufacturer). Before I did that, I would personally talk to the guys in their body shop. But I really think that the dealer would probably just tell you that the orange peel is "normal" and they won't fix it. Time is money for them and it seems that removing orange peel would be a time consuming process if it is done correctly. If you don't take the vehicle, they probably won't mind adding it to their inventory if it is a very popular vehicle like the GC. Just my thoughts.

JTS97Z28 06-27-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angler (Post 648046)
^^ Just because you order a vehicle doesn't mean you have to accept it as is. I think you would have a better shot at getting orange peel fixed with a vehicle you ordered (and thus one you will be happier with) as opposed to settling for the vehicle with the least peel on the lot. I would tell the dealer after my pre-delivery inspection that they need to correct the orange peel and whatever else needs attention or I don't take it. At that point they can decide to make me happy and get the balance due on the vehicle or refund my deposit and add another vehicle to their inventory.

You need to understand orange peel is NOT a defect. Thats how factory paint jobs are done on most vehicles today. If I worked at a dealership and a customer said I am not taking delivery of this vehicle because of the orange peel I would have said yeah we will take care of it and tell you how much its gonna cost to do it.
You can buy a $14,000 Kia, or a $90,000 BMW SUV and they will both have it. There are very few manufacturers in the world that will actually wet sand the finish to absolute mirror perfection, and I can assure you most people on this forums including myself cannot afford those vehicles. Hopefully this didnt come out too harsh, but I just wanted to make it clear that this is not a defect.