Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Child Car Seats? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/child-car-seats-43710.html)

amr40509 06-22-2012 07:44 AM

Child Car Seats?

Anyone have kids in car seats in their WK2? I'm considering buying a WK2 (probably wait until I can order a '14 at the end of the year, probably do an Overland with Hemi).

I have a 15 month old now and my wife and I plan to try for another in the near future, so this truck will have to be somewhat workable with 2 car seats.

My wife's '11 Honda Ody. is the primary people mover in our family, but I have to have my vehicle set up to safely do it too as needed.

Right now my son is rear facing in my (current generation) Pathfinder in a Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL, in the middle. It is big (long) enough that it actually touches the front seats slightly ("bracing" is OK in the Pathfinder because mine doesn't have side airbags). With two seats back there, rear facing, in the Pathfinder I'd have to move the front seats up closer than I'd like for a comfortable driving position.

Anyone have any real-world experience running around with a couple of car seats?

JTS97Z28 06-22-2012 09:22 AM

Re: Child Car Seats?

We currently only have one rear facing seat in the WK2. We originally had a larger seat in the middle and it was just too big. I then secured it on the passenger side and even though it was the best way, the passenger front seat had to be moved too far forward.
So we ended up buying a car seat designed for a small car. I know that sounds silly in a somewhat large SUV, but there was just no other way.
P.S. The rear seat backs do recline in the new WK2's which helps so that the car seat can go back just a little furthur, but its still an issue with the front seats.

I cant wait to be able to turn the seat around, but my wife says she wants it rear facing for as long as possible. I guess I cant argue with her since its for the safety of our child.

To give you an idea here is a picture of our child seat in the WK2. I have the passenger seat moved back as far as possible and probably up against the child seat a little too much. When I sit in that seat my knees are pretty close to touching the glove box. My wife fits fine there though. My wife says the diono radian would work in the Jeep as long as you use the angle adjusters. You can have one mounted in the middle and the second one behind the passenger seat. She has that car seast in her Accord and its narrow enough that when its mounted in the middle it can fit between her two seats and still allow you to move back far enough. Besides the car seats though, rear seat legroom is great in the WK2.

http://www.linenoyz.net/files/images/DSC08043.JPG

http://www.linenoyz.net/files/images/DSC08044.JPG

SixZeroFour 06-22-2012 10:53 AM

We have 2 front facing seats in the back and they fit great. Our oldest (3) sits behind the passenger seat since he needs a little more leg room, but my wife can move the seat far enough forward that he can not reach and she still fits without touching the dash. I'll try to snap a few pics for you later - we have 2 Britax Boulevard seats installed.

eibyer 06-22-2012 10:58 AM

This one is a good discussion thread of it. Car seats and all :) Kind of long and some other topics discussed but you can just look at the pictures LOL.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/3-kids-41986.html

amr40509 06-22-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 646616)
My wife says the diono radian would work in the Jeep as long as you use the angle adjusters. You can have one mounted in the middle and the second one behind the passenger seat. She has that car seast in her Accord and its narrow enough that when its mounted in the middle it can fit between her two seats and still allow you to move back far enough. Besides the car seats though, rear seat legroom is great in the WK2.

Thanks for the response.

So now I have a huge favor to ask. Any chance you could try out her Radian in your truck and see if it fits? The seat I'm using in my Pathfinder is actually the same seat (Sunshine Kids became Diono a few months ago) as hers.

We love the car seat (I just ordered the Diono RXT for my wife's ride, event thought she has a Britax Blvd. 70 in there now - we just like my Radian a lot better).

Realistically, if it would work well in the center, the next kid could go in the Chicco KeyFit 30 infant seat that our son used to use, and by the time he needed the bigger convertible seat, our son would be front facing.

As you can tell I'm trying to find a way to buy a WK2 instead of a Tahoe/Yukon.

xJoshxx 06-22-2012 06:26 PM

Getting ready to have a little one soon also, Recommendations on a seat would be awesome!.

MattDesign 06-23-2012 10:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We have a Graco Smart Seat All-in-one, and our son is 10 month old, roughly 31" tall.

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pa...ductID=1802320

I was all ready to face the seat forward for this convertible seat last month when our boy hit 20lb+, but our pediatrician recommended that because of his neck strenth (or lack there of), it will be safe to keep him facing back until he is about 18 month old. Rear facing takes up alot of room, but that's how we have the seat right now.

Just like Jame's situation in the previous post, the front passenger side seat must be moved forward quite a bit. Just as a reference, my wife is 5'4", and she is fine with this setting, but I do not want to sit there being 5'10", and the driver side in this picture is set for my comfort.

It's not the biggest SUV in the world, but we are good with it with the size of our family. One thing that helps alot, is the fact that the doors open really wide on WK2, which makes getting in easy for my wife, and putting my son into the chair a breeze. As James mentioned above, don't forget to recline the rear seats, it will give you a couple of inches at the top where the child seat may come in contact with the front seats.

With Graco Smart Seat, you also have the option of picking up another base. We have a base installed on a Corolla, and we swap the seat between our two cars. We opted for this configuration because I realized getting to the child seat anchors on my WK2 was really tough, and I did not want to fiddle with it every time we swap the seat, nor buy a seat for both cars.

It's also good to look for a child seat narrow enough that you can lower the other side for increased cargo space. We've already made several trips to Lowe's like this.

xJoshxx 06-23-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattDesign (Post 647002)
We have a Graco Smart Seat All-in-one, and our son is 10 month old, roughly 22" tall.

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pa...ductID=1802320

I was all ready to face the seat forward for this convertible seat last month when our boy hit 20lb+, but our pediatrician recommended that because of his neck strenth (or lack there of), it will be safe to keep him facing back until he is about 18 month old. Rear facing takes up alot of room, but that's how we have the seat right now.

Just like Jame's situation in the previous post, the front passenger side seat must be moved forward quite a bit. Just as a reference, my wife is 5'4", and she is fine with this setting, but I do not want to sit there being 5'10", and the driver side in this picture is set for my comfort.

It's not the biggest SUV in the world, but we are good with it with the size of our family. One thing that helps alot, is the fact that the doors open really wide on WK2, which makes getting in easy for my wife, and putting my son into the chair a breeze. As James mentioned above, don't forget to recline the rear seats, it will give you a couple of inches at the top where the child seat may come in contact with the front seats.

With Graco Smart Seat, you also have the option of picking up another base. We have a base installed on a Corolla, and we swap the seat between our two cars. We opted for this configuration because I realized getting to the child seat anchors on my WK2 was really tough, and I did not want to fiddle with it every time we swap the seat, nor buy a seat for both cars.

It's also good to look for a child seat narrow enough that you can lower the other side for increased cargo space. We've already made several trips to Lowe's like this.

Thanks Added Rep!:thumbsup:

fljeepleo 06-24-2012 03:58 AM

We use the Chico Key-fit 30 on our 2 month old. We love the car seat. Very easy in and out and very light. It also scored very well in crash tests. We put it behind the passenger seat. It fits snug with the passenger seat in a normal riding position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeyo 06-24-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fljeepleo (Post 647239)
We use the Chico Key-fit 30 on our 2 month old. We love the car seat. Very easy in and out and very light. It also scored very well in crash tests. We put it behind the passenger seat. It fits snug with the passenger seat in a normal riding position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the KeyFit 30 as well, it is a great seat!

I'm looking to pick up a '12 (or '14) GC Limited. My 6 month old is now riding in a Britax Boulevard 70CS, and I have not been able to test fit that in the GC, anyone here with that seat? If so, do you have any issues with it? We'll probably keep her rear facing until she is 2 (as new guidlines suggest), and are not planning for a second child until after that. I think the GC will be large enough for us with two car seats in the second row, especially as a secondary family hauler. We use my wife's 2011 Highlander as the primary family hauler, and my 2010 A4 pretty much stays parked other than me driving to work, as it is simply too small. As much as I love my Audi, I can't wait to get into a GC!

Jdsmitty10 06-24-2012 07:16 PM

I have 3 across in mine. 2 FF and a RF infant seat. Works out fine if u ask me. And if u have a van and only need 2 in there You should be good to go.. Our wk2 is our primary family hauler and it works good for us.. Just unloaded 3 kids, a double stroller, umbrella stroller, 2 suitcases, various bags, bumbo seat, etc from a weekend trip.. Worked great. It was pretty loaded up in the cargo area but I still had plenty of floor space if I needed to stuff anymore in there lol...

olamaca 06-24-2012 08:30 PM

Britax are the best car seats for children.