Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   06 4.7 slightly high engine temp- i need your help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/06-4-7-slightly-high-engine-temp-i-need-your-help-43719.html)

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-22-2012 12:44 PM

06 4.7 slightly high engine temp- i need your help

normally my jeep runs a little bit below the half mark on the temp gauge. lately it has been running at the half mark or a tad over it. i thought it was because it has been over 100 the last few days, but it does it at night as well. i changed the thermostat and let the air out of the system and it is still running at the half mark. the fans run....... what else should i look at? could my temp sensor be fried or would it be more sporadic?

Frango100 06-22-2012 05:27 PM

Re: 06 4.7 slightly high engine temp- i need your help

When you changed the thermostat, did you also flush the complete cooling system? Especially the radiator can become clogged with foreign mateiral and reduce the cooling capacity.
But also the sensor can cause a small misreading over time. As long as the pointer stays around the mid position, i would not worry too much about it.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-22-2012 05:53 PM

Now i have noticed i have a erratic idle. If i let it sit at idle about every minute it will drop and almost stall. Considering those two symptoms..... Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

jeepgcoman 06-23-2012 12:27 PM

Since you did the obvious, I think I'd focus on the sensor. Probably wouldn't cost too much.

On the idle, when's the last time the EGR Valve was changed? Do you have a way of testing or at least monitoring it? Other than that, just a couple "WAG's", maybe the MAP Sensor (not too likely) or the Idle Air Control Motor (more likely). Don't know if it's an integral part of the TB like on the 5.7.

Scottina06 06-23-2012 06:12 PM

honestly...I think your fine. How many miles on the coolant?

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-24-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 647110)
honestly...I think your fine. How many miles on the coolant?

brand new, got a new radiator when i hit the deer.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-24-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 647034)
Since you did the obvious, I think I'd focus on the sensor. Probably wouldn't cost too much.

On the idle, when's the last time the EGR Valve was changed? Do you have a way of testing or at least monitoring it? Other than that, just a couple "WAG's", maybe the MAP Sensor (not too likely) or the Idle Air Control Motor (more likely). Don't know if it's an integral part of the TB like on the 5.7.

EGR was changed at about 100k miles. i have a sensor in the garage and was going to swap it in yesterday but noticed that i need to remove the air resonator to get to it so im gonna change the plugs while im in there. gotta pick some up at the dealer tomorrow and i will change the plugs and the coolant sensor.

jeepgcoman 06-27-2012 07:10 PM

Since you just put a new radiator in (fun wasn't it?), are you sure you have all the air out of the system? Everytime I've had to remove or replace coolant it's taken almost a week for the level to stabilize where it should be.

2005JGC 06-28-2012 02:42 AM

Mine does the exact same thing when its warm or I'm towing its dead nuts in the center, when its cool out I ride a little below the half mark.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-28-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgcoman (Post 648993)
Since you just put a new radiator in (fun wasn't it?), are you sure you have all the air out of the system? Everytime I've had to remove or replace coolant it's taken almost a week for the level to stabilize where it should be.

yea, i let alot of air out of the system, i will try again, but im pretty sure it is all out

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-28-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 649116)
Mine does the exact same thing when its warm or I'm towing its dead nuts in the center, when its cool out I ride a little below the half mark.

so during the summer you are at exactly the half mark all the time?

2005JGC 06-28-2012 02:15 PM

My weather conditions are probably different from yours, right now we are swinging from 50 and raining to 90 and sunny so its not so much seasons but more or less, yes... Dependant in temperature and load.

If it goes above half way I would be worried.