Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Hill/brake Assist - Is this normal? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/hill-brake-assist-is-this-normal-43720.html)

Aiyer 06-22-2012 01:00 PM

Hill/brake Assist - Is this normal?

I observed something last night. I pulled up my driveway... it is slightly inclined up towards the garage, pushed the parking brake, put the Jeep in park, walked in to the garage, moved my bike away, then came back to the Jeep, removed parking brake, with foot on brake I put the Jeep in drive and let go of the brake.

I noticed that the Jeep did not roll back and perhaps it was the brake/hill assist. For the heck of it, with foot on brake, I put the Jeep in N, then put it in drive and let go of the brake. The Jeep immediately started to roll back, even though it was in Drive.

Is this normal? Can someone test on their Jeep and let me know. I thought the hill assist would prevent this from happening. On my old ZJ, if I put it in drive from neutral, it will not roll backwards and try to fight going back.

Cheers,
-A

americanbulldog 06-22-2012 03:52 PM

Re: Hill/brake Assist - Is this normal?

get a life bro

Schweibs 06-22-2012 04:14 PM

Aiyer look through your EVIC settings there is an option called hill start assist or something similar to that. It's turned on right now. This feature just holds the brakes for you up to 2 seconds untill you push the gas pedal a sufficient amount to avoid rolling back.

savvas 06-22-2012 04:16 PM

You need to be in drive for hill start assist to operate. It will hold brake pressure until you apply throttle or for two seconds max. It doesnt operate in N or P. I dont know whether it operates in R.

Schweibs 06-22-2012 04:17 PM

I'm almost positive it works in reverse just as long as you are backing up a hill of course.

Aiyer 06-22-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanbulldog (Post 646776)
get a life bro

Thank you!

Aiyer 06-22-2012 04:42 PM

It does work I think, but taking it off "drive" and then engaging it in "drive" does not work. I guess it is normal. I guess it is supposed to work until I hit the gas. But, what I observed was weird... and this is my first vehicle that has this feature.

thanks...

tnjeep 06-22-2012 08:43 PM

It works in Reverse the same way. Live on a very steep hill and this has become one of my favorite extras on the Jeep.

armoredsaint 06-23-2012 02:14 PM

I have a manual 6-speed 335i BMW with hill assist also when I release the clutch - it holds for about 1-2 seconds before I roll back.