Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Help! A/C doesn't work. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/help-a-c-doesnt-work-43726.html)

janisonh 06-22-2012 06:38 PM

Help! A/C doesn't work.

Hey guys! The A/C in my 2000 wj Laredo (4.7 v8) only works sometimes. It didnt cool well, so my mechanic put half of a can of refrigerant in it and said that he was afraid to put more for fear of overcharging and blowing o-rings. He also noted that it really wasn't too low. He told me to run it on recirculate to make it feel colder. I've done that since. This past week it has blew cool sometimes and been great. Sometimes it doesn't cool at all. Please help! We are in Alabama and its been in the high 80's with extremely high humidity. I can't rely on it. It's very uncomfortable. Please tell me what to check or tips. (my mechanic also said that sometimes some valve under the dash can get stopped up. He said it was about a $100 part, but very expensive in labor due to having to pull the dash). Could this be it? It never really has cooled as well as some of the other cars in te family, but now it's awful. For example- it was cooling great. Cut it off to get gas and it started blowing hot. I can't figure it out. Please help. I a, very mechanically inclined and don't want to be taken for a ride from the local mechanics. Or would even love to fix it myself. Thanks!

Frango100 06-22-2012 09:04 PM

Re: Help! A/C doesn't work.

Did you check if the compressor was turning at the times that you didnīt feel cold air coming out?
High humidity is already a factor which acts against a good cooling, because the water particles in the air will condensate on the cold evaporator, transferring its heat to the evaporator. This heat transfer is in fact lost energy and the passing air will be less cooled.
Not sure if your mechanic was talking about a valve, or about the blend doors. Blend door hinges tend to break and then you will not have the disired temperature you want. A repair of these doors requires a complete dash removal, but the same applies for the evaporator itself. Do you have the automatic zone control or the manual one?

janisonh 06-23-2012 06:12 AM

Hello and thanks for the reply. It's blowing cool now, and I'll check the compressor when it stops blowing cool. I have the manual climate control.

janisonh 07-03-2012 03:15 PM

Okay. I took it to a shop and they replaced the compressor. It is blowing sorta cool now, but not cold. Any ideas? It's hot here. A thermometer in the main vents with air on high and recirculate reads 47 degrees F. When it was working before it felt a lot colder than that. Used to be ice cold. How do I get that back?

hoffmanestates 07-03-2012 10:43 PM

if it's blowing 47 and out side is 85-90 that's not bad...but anyway. might want to check your freeze switch. and expansion block

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2

Frango100 07-04-2012 09:48 AM

According the service manual, with outside temps of 90 F @ 80% humidity the air coming from the center outlets should be between 60-65 F. With lower humidity the temperature of the outlets will drop as well. So the 47 F you are getting is not that bad at all.

hoffmanestates 07-04-2012 04:10 PM

exactly... one thing I noticed today with 104+ in Chicago the centers blow ice cold and the outer vents blow at less cold. why? I checked.this on 4 wjs today and all same...any one hear of putting propane into a.c system as it cools like r12 at that time

Turbo charged G2X using tapatalk 2