Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Lost all electrical for a second, twice. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/lost-all-electrical-for-a-second-twice-43745.html)

afhanson72 06-23-2012 09:14 AM

Lost all electrical for a second, twice.

I was driving down the road and everything inside the Jeep shut off for about a second or two, all the dash lights came on, then everything turned back on. This happened yesterday, twice within about 15 min. The engine continued running. I have an 05 with the 5.7.
I checked the battery and alternator and both are good. I have not found any loose or corroded connections yet either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Eaglelope 06-23-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Lost all electrical for a second, twice.

I have an '05 with the 4.7L and it's doing the same thing.

It started a few years ago and I was able to get it to stop by cleaning and reseating two connector blocks under the dash on the driver side.
There is a hinged panel below the steering wheel that pulls down.
The two connectors are the clamshell type with a locking lever and a release tab that allows you to lift the lever.

Note that when the lever is up, there is another tab that locks it up so you'll have to press that tab when you reinstall the connector.

I disconnected the battery, pulled the connectors, and used contact cleaner on them. After the cleaner dried, I put the connectors back and it was stable for 6 months or so.

I'm having the problem again now though and this trick isn't working any more. So I'm digging through the service manual now to see if there's another explanation. I'm losing the instrument cluster and the A/C blower but the radio keeps working during the interruption. It's got to be a problem with a power feed or a ground...

Mark

afhanson72 06-23-2012 01:55 PM

Thanks for the input Mark.
I found my problem.
The stud on the starter was loose internally. New starter and all seems well now!:)

Eaglelope 06-23-2012 01:59 PM

Maybe I should check mine too. Was this a ground connection on the starter?

afhanson72 06-23-2012 02:21 PM

No the main power connector.

Chaoul1 06-23-2012 02:25 PM

Check your Multi-Function Light Switch Stalk. I had the same problem you were having. You have to replace it.

brentwoodkris 07-20-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 647063)
Check your Multi-Function Light Switch Stalk. I had the same problem you were having. You have to replace it.

Thanks for the rec Chaoul1, I just ordered a new light stalk from carquest for $62 (compared to the dealer $130). Last night it got REALLY bad, instead of flickering once or twice, it did it 10+ times in a 5 mile stretch (and included my headlights flickering). After reading this post, I turned off the automatic headlamps and everything worked fine [but of course this is only a temporary fix because I like my auto headlamps].

Stupid low quality OEM crap going bad early.

Chaoul1 07-20-2012 05:55 PM

I ordered a OEM one. It was scary though for me. I was scared to drive at night!