Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Do Cold Air Intakes Improve Fuel Economy? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/do-cold-air-intakes-improve-fuel-economy-43759.html)

Frostbite 06-23-2012 10:31 PM

Do Cold Air Intakes Improve Fuel Economy?

I have read everything I can find on this forum regarding CAIs. I am thinking about adding a CAI to our 2012 Grand Cherokee with a V-6. I am looking to improve economy and performance sound if possible. Does anyone have any data regarding if indeed fuel economy increases due to installation of a cold air intake?

JeepMonster 06-23-2012 10:48 PM

Re: Do Cold Air Intakes Improve Fuel Economy?

I'd be interested to know this as well, from what I've read on here it seems that you may get another 1-2 mpg tops from a CAI install.

JTS97Z28 06-24-2012 08:37 AM

I have no data on the grand cherokee to back my statement, but IMO absolutely not. First off I have yet to see an actual "cold air intake" for the Jeep. As far as I'm concerned any intake where the filter is in the engine bay is doing nothing but suck up hot engine air even if there is a metal box around it. The OEM box is designed to bring in air from outside the vehicle. Even if a cold air intake was proven to provide measurable increased fuel economy it would likely be eliminated and worsened by slightly more aggressive driving habits. Cold air intake sound is only noticeable when you drive harder.
This is all just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. Some will disagree, but I have used CAI's on cars before and never noticed improved economy as far as I can remember.

ColdCase 06-24-2012 08:44 AM

Not long term, you certainly won't save enough fuel to cover the cost of the CAI. The benefits of a CAI are style and sound. To take advantage of CAI potential, you need to retune the engine, which is probably tuned to max mpg anyway.

Emarosa 06-24-2012 12:27 PM

I just recently installed a CAI on my car. I'm from Canada so I'm not sure what my MPG is but my car used to be around 15-16L/100km now with the intake installed I'm getting 13-14L/100km so IMO it's worth it for the fuel savings and the improvement in performance. Can't get enough of the way it sounds to.

armoredsaint 06-24-2012 04:10 PM

I think if there's a 1-2 MPG improvement, Jeep would've already done it.

Frostbite 06-24-2012 08:22 PM

I was looking at the design of how the stock airbox draws cold air, and it seems like disabling a system that is actually drawing cold air from outside the engine compartment would be counterproductive.

Would a stock replacement K&N or a (dry) aftermarket air filter perhaps be a better alternative to a CAI?

However, I sure like the look of the Mopar CAI but, if I can look forward to worse economy with it, buying one just wouldn't make sense.

bigpanda 06-25-2012 02:45 AM

Honestly, I don't think people mostly buy CAI to improve MPG. For me, I don't see any noticable MPG improvement but little better performance gain.

BuckeyeSRT 06-25-2012 06:42 AM

No improvement for me on MPG but the sound, oh the sound.

Frostbite 06-25-2012 08:31 AM

Does a CAI seem to help tighten up the less than stellar shifting of the V6 transmission?

Yadkin 06-25-2012 08:35 AM

What are all the "hornets nest" chambers in the stock intake doing if not maximizing fuel economy?

Jeepdewd 06-25-2012 08:41 AM

I had a CAI on my 2008 wrangler.. banks system with throttle body turbine junk.. it was all a boatload of snake oil.. =0

Made a bunch of noise.. when you mashed the gas.. reminded me of a cartoon car. (yes I get it in 2008 those mini van engines sucked.. but nothing you bolt on made it better)

No I didn't PAY for the stuff, I was at valvoline getting an oil change.. and the kid working there said his friend bought it all .. used it 3 days and said it was JUNK.. if he could bolt it on mine.. I said try it.. junk.