Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Need new key fobs but don't know which ones work? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/need-new-key-fobs-but-dont-know-which-ones-work-43765.html)

honda_fox3 06-24-2012 02:08 AM

Need new key fobs but don't know which ones work?

Ok so if you didn't see my other posts I recently bought an 04 limited that has been wrecked. It will be fixed soon but it didn't come with any key fobs and only one key so I need replacements. How do I know which fobs to get and how do I program them? I need to know the FCC ID number that's on the back of them but not sure which one works. Is there a way to tell via VIN number?
Obviously I could buy them from the dealer but I'm cheap and I know you can get them off ebay for a reasonable price so I'll try that route.
Also does which key will work? I know I'll have to get it programmed at a dealer or locksmith but they sell blanks online.

Thanks in advance.

DrLocke 06-24-2012 03:48 AM

Re: Need new key fobs but don't know which ones work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 (Post 647228)
Ok so if you didn't see my other posts I recently bought an 04 limited that has been wrecked. It will be fixed soon but it didn't come with any key fobs and only one key so I need replacements. How do I know which fobs to get and how do I program them? I need to know the FCC ID number that's on the back of them but not sure which one works. Is there a way to tell via VIN number?
Obviously I could buy them from the dealer but I'm cheap and I know you can get them off ebay for a reasonable price so I'll try that route.
Also does which key will work? I know I'll have to get it programmed at a dealer or locksmith but they sell blanks online.

Thanks in advance.

Can't read the Chrysler P/N on the fob (sorry), but you will need to get each one programed by a locksmith or stealership.
If you have 2 "working" keys you can program up to 2 more yourself.
By "working" I mean that they turn the ignition and start the vehicle.
If you only have one "working" key you'll have to have a second one programed. Then you can program 2 more yourself.
Good luck and happy motoring.

Milous 06-24-2012 04:12 AM

2004 Jeep OEM keyless entry transmitter

p/n 56036859AE $86.25 MSRP (#1 primary driver, freq. 315)

p/n 56036860AE $86.25 MSRP (#2 secondary, gray, freq. 433)

honda_fox3 06-29-2012 06:15 AM

Thanks guys. One more quick question (may need to make a new thread to get good response) With a key that isn't programed what doesn't work? So if I have a key that fits and turns on the ignition but isn't programed does it kill the fuel pump, ignition, both, something else?
Thanks

Frango100 06-29-2012 10:38 AM

The key is part of the SKIS system. When an invalid key is used, the engine will start, but will shut off after 2 seconds. Not sure if it only will stop the fuel injection, or the ignition as well.
Regarding new keys, there can be a total of 8 key codes stored in the SKIM module. ( for if you have a big family:lol:)