Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Rear diff whine......????? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/rear-diff-whine-4377.html)

karlandbev 11-29-2009 05:52 PM

Rear diff whine......?????

Hi all, how are the Grand cherokee's for diff whining, i've just purchased mine and it does have a little rear diff whine when coasting from 50mph to 25 mph then it goes completely, is this normal or something that i need to get sorted......i'm just going to do the oil changes on the diffs with amsoil severe gear with the friction modifier from redline.....also doing the transfer case fluid change with jeeps own reccomended oil......is there anything to grease around the diff areas whilst i'm under there.....?

Thanks in advance
Karl.....:)

Marlin 11-29-2009 05:58 PM

Re: Rear diff whine......?????

No grease points mate.
Mine had a slight wine too, at 100klm/h or so under slight trailing throttle. It was borderline annoying from the rear seat.
I complained for six months before the dealer contacted the importer and they ok'd a replacement diff centre without issue.
I've not heard of any fix by an additive, the issue lies in poorly shimmed diff centres creating poor meshing and wear patterns.

karlandbev 11-29-2009 06:05 PM

Hi marlin,
I don't think its anything to worry about just thought i would see if generally they do this........as for the friction additive this is just normal procedure in changing the diff oil if you have the QDII system,you have to add 4oz per diff......your ride looks cool matey, loike the colour and wheels...what size are they.....????

Marlin 11-29-2009 06:37 PM

No mate, nothing to worry about, I'm sure it would go forever like that, I'm just super-fussy and got them to fix it.
Yes, I'm aware QDII runs the friction modifier, I thought you were alluding to maybe adding something additional in an effort to curb the whine.
Thanks mate for your comments, they're 22 x 9.5"

1 GRAND 11-30-2009 01:40 PM

Every Grand Cherokee I have owned has had the rear diff whine. I had a 2000 Limited V8 4x4 that had 5 rear diffs what time I owned it. :eek: My 94 does it, and my Overland has a slight whine.

Ridin' Around 12-01-2009 10:40 AM

Just a question about adding the modifier to the Amsoil fluids. All of the Severe Gear fluids contain a FM additive. Why would you add something, let alone a RedLine product? Just wondering.

karlandbev 12-01-2009 01:01 PM

Hi ridin, Are you sure that the Amsoil Severe Grear has the additive already in it........the suppliers i get my lubes from are very good and i would have thought that they would have told me that it was already in the oil.And you don't seem too impressed with the choice of addative ie Redline...is this no good...??
All info welcome.......thanks

Karl.

AcidCold 12-01-2009 01:04 PM

Same whine here to, mine is from a bad pinion bearing which i am trying to hold of on since funds are not available.

Ridin' Around 12-02-2009 08:14 PM

I'm sure it has the additive in it. I have been to several training sessions on it.

I just don't like mixing brands on stuff. If it calls for a particular additive then get it from the same place, that way you know they are made to work together not counteract each other!

surfb 12-02-2009 08:33 PM

Had the same "Whine",was told carrier bearings went bad.Jeep paid for it.