Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Eibach pro-kit installed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/eibach-pro-kit-installed-43777.html)

sullyz 06-24-2012 12:05 PM

Eibach pro-kit installed

Installed the pro-kit yesterday. What a PITA install! Definitely the most labor intensive spring swap I've done to date... although I'm used to spring rates and lengths in the sports car world and not heavy truck/suv springs. First time I've had to deal with a performance replacement spring that also needed to be compressed before buttoning up the front strut assembly. These things are long and heavy. Since mine is 4x4 we had to pull the driver side axle out of the hub to allow enough travel to get the strut assembly out.

Rears required removal of all outboard control arm connections as well as sway bar endlinks and brake line support brackets in order to get enough droop to pull the springs out... and even then it required a small pry bar to get them unseated.

All said and done it was well worth the effort. The drop is good and the handling is greatly improved. Much less boaty and flatter in the turns. The ride is slightly stiffer, but still very good and not harsh at all.

Front seems to have dropped a bit more than the rear so it has a slight rake to it... not quite what I had in mind. I'll see where it settles after an alignment. Also going to loosen and then re-tighten all the bushings under load at the same time and then re-evaluate.

We installed the Corsa exhaust at the same time so the vehicle has transformed completely overnight. With the two mods together the Jeep is significantly more fun to drive.... almost to the point where I don't miss the Cayenne anymore!

No pics yet, but I will post them soon. I apologize in advance, but I didn't take any before pics and took no previous measurements.:(

dave2002ti 06-24-2012 01:12 PM

Re: Eibach pro-kit installed

You did check the stock spring rates against your new Eibach's? Eibach is famous for providing softer spring rates then OEM which can cause all kinds of issues like coil bind and bottoming out.

sullyz 06-24-2012 02:06 PM

Didn't measure rates between the springs, but can tell you the rates appear to be higher on the Eibachs based on how hard they were to compress. So they were shorter and heavier as you'd expect. The Eibachs are also progressive of course, and while some areas of the springs have closer coils that look like they may bind, I don't believe it will be a problem...and so far isn't.
I've run Eibach springs for years on many different vehicles and several different setups on the same vehicles. Never had a problem. Granted most of the springs were linear, but even the progressives worked well. Only setup I've experienced that had a problem with coil bind was a KW coilover on a BMW.
I can say that Jeep expects some amout of coil bind on the factory rears since they added a rubber strip over the wire for about 2-3 coils.
I'll keep an eye out for this going forward and will report back if it's an issue.
Thank you for the heads up.

Scottina06 06-24-2012 03:22 PM

congrats!

Leeroy044 06-26-2012 04:58 PM

Any update? I have been waiting for a set of sway bars as well as the code to be cracked before I put on the corsa exhaust. Noticeable performance increase? Or just louder? How's the drown? Thanks!

sullyz 06-27-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeroy044 (Post 648424)
Any update? I have been waiting for a set of sway bars as well as the code to be cracked before I put on the corsa exhaust. Noticeable performance increase? Or just louder? How's the drown? Thanks!

Here's my Corsa thread:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/corsa-exhaust-installed-43781.html

Leeroy044 06-27-2012 07:51 PM

Thanks! And good write up. Nothing on performance by letting that hemi breathe. Any notice over time? Thanks!

kevster 07-01-2012 10:57 AM

pics of the new stance will be nice to see.

sullyz 07-03-2012 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevster (Post 650342)
pics of the new stance will be nice to see.

I have some better pics in my DSLR at home, but here are some really crappy iphone pics for now.
It still has more rake to it than I'd like. Not sure if I'm going to raise the front or lower the rear to fix it yet. Lowering the rear will be much easier though.

kevster 07-04-2012 05:45 PM

Looks great, I would leave it , rears may settle some over time.

nonopr01 07-04-2012 06:00 PM

Looks great like that. Just take off the Jeep letters on the hood and It will be perfect.

Scottina06 07-05-2012 12:49 AM

that is sick!