Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Turn key no crank for at least a minute (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/turn-key-no-crank-for-at-least-a-minute-43871.html)

Gamble 06-26-2012 09:05 AM

Turn key no crank for at least a minute

Been working on this silly jeep for a long time nad can't figure it out. It's a 99 grand cherokee, with a 4.7L. Bought it and it had some issues like stalling while driving and other stuff. Brought it to the dealer and they said it needed a starter and PCM. So I bought a PCM from auto computer exchange and bought a starter.
Also got a new ignition switch, cleaned battery terminals, and still when I turn the key on the lights go on, but it won't crank. I have to hold the key on for about a minute or two minutes in the crank position and then it will crank and fire up no problem.

I'm clueless now. I don't know where to begin. Next step I think is just start replacing more crap like the neutral safety switch, ignition cylinder and removing the remote start. But I rather not.

I also can't remember if I replaced the crank position sensor or not, but would the jeep still crank if this sensor was bad? Also I get the occasional error code of P1698 and I have no idea what that is.

Frango100 06-26-2012 11:48 AM

Re: Turn key no crank for at least a minute

Did you already swap the starter relay in the PDC? There other equal relays in there which you could use for the swap.
An other item could indeed be the neutral safety switch, but that one is part of the TRS/solenoid pack inside the tranny. Did you try to start while wiggling the transmission lever? The switch or also transmsiion lever rigging could be the problem. But due to the fact that the starter will work after some minutes, i would say that the problem is with the park/neutral switch inside the tranny. Maybe oil entered the switch and prevents a good contact. You could measure on the PCM connector C1 point 6 to ground if this switch functions ok or not (should measure 0 Ohm from point 6 to ground in Park and Neutral)
The crank position sensor doesnīt do anything for cranking the engine, the engine will not start when this sensor is bad, but it will crank.
The P1698 seems to have to do with the TCM. Check the connector on the TCM for dirty/corroded pins and use contact cleaner.

Gamble 06-26-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 648305)
Did you already swap the starter relay in the PDC? There other equal relays in there which you could use for the swap.
An other item could indeed be the neutral safety switch, but that one is part of the TRS/solenoid pack inside the tranny. Did you try to start while wiggling the transmission lever? The switch or also transmsiion lever rigging could be the problem. But due to the fact that the starter will work after some minutes, i would say that the problem is with the park/neutral switch inside the tranny. Maybe oil entered the switch and prevents a good contact. You could measure on the PCM connector C1 point 6 to ground if this switch functions ok or not (should measure 0 Ohm from point 6 to ground in Park and Neutral)
The crank position sensor doesnīt do anything for cranking the engine, the engine will not start when this sensor is bad, but it will crank.
The P1698 seems to have to do with the TCM. Check the connector on the TCM for dirty/corroded pins and use contact cleaner.

I did the starter relay in the fusebox under the hood. What is the PDC?
Is the NSS hard to swap and is there a video or how to? I haven't seen one online yet.

01grand 06-26-2012 04:26 PM

I believe the NSS is inside the transmission, part of the shift solenoid assembly/transmission range sensor. Its bolted to the top of the valve body. Straight forward enough to replace but its expensive.

Gamble 06-26-2012 04:38 PM

The NSS that autozone pulls up is $12?

Frango100 06-26-2012 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That switch canīt be for the 5-45RFE tranny. The park/neutral switch is indeed a part of the TRS/solenoid block and as far as i know you canīt change it separately.
The PDC is the Power Distribution Center, the fuse/relay box under the hood.
When you play with the transmission lever when starting, does that make any difference?
Just as a reference attached the TRS/solenoid block. The T41 switch circuit is used for the PARK/NEUTRAL sense.

Gamble 06-27-2012 09:20 AM

Is it possible for it to be a bad TCM and not the TRS?

Frango100 06-27-2012 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
According wiring schematics TCM is not in the starter control circuit.

Gamble 06-27-2012 12:32 PM

Ah so the TRS is wired to the PCM. Is there a way to bypass it for testing purposes?

Gamble 06-27-2012 01:32 PM

Is this the sensor I need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-Jeep-G...ht_1662wt_1185

Dealer said $600 + tax

01grand 06-27-2012 02:22 PM

I believe that part is for a 4.0L Jeep with the 42re transmission, the 4.7L is paired with the 45rfe transmission, its a totally different animal. The part the dealer quoted is probably the shift solenoid/TRS, which can be found for $300 online at electricaladvantage.net

Frango100 06-27-2012 04:46 PM

I think for testing purposes you could ground point 3 of the transmission connector and see if it starts directly. You could also measure with an Ohm meter the resistance of the park/neutral switch directly on the receptacle from the TRS/solenoid block on the left hand side of the transmission. Resistance should be 0 in park and neutral and endless in any other position.