Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   2" RC lift Screw up? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/2-rc-lift-screw-up-43905.html)

dane.p 06-26-2012 07:19 PM

2" RC lift Screw up?

is it possible to seriously mess up my suspension by doing a simple strut spacer lift? My friend told me that by unhooking the control arm from the knuckle, I could damage my suspension...but its the only way to get the strut out. Also he said i could decompress the strut spring by taking out the strut and we'd be ****ed. I, personally, he is talking out of his ass, so could i receive a little insight? :)

mTBrunner83 06-26-2012 07:33 PM

Re: 2" RC lift Screw up?

As long as you don't force the knuckle and just pop it to the point it slams out you won't hurt anything. And as far as spring compression it would already be decompressed if you put the vehicle up on jack stands. You often have to compress the spring to get it out of from under the upper control arm. I have heard where others have pushed down on the lower control arm providing enough clearance. But yeah the only decompressing that would occur if you set it up properly would be from the strut spring compressor that is used to get the spacer and strut back into place or remove the strut from the strut tower assembly inside the coil. (which is dangerous tool and should be used with a lot of care.)

dane.p 06-26-2012 07:44 PM

okay so i dont necessarily need a strut compressor to get it out or back in? cuz i feel like if i just wedged it in right i would be able to get it back in. my last attempt failed because i didnt unhook the control arm and knuckle......which wouldnt let the strut drop. it was frustrating cuz i knew that that was in the way, but my friend was saying if i did, something terrible was going to happen haha.

mTBrunner83 06-26-2012 08:46 PM

I have been told you can do that. My goal was to get the whole strut removed but the clevis bolt proved too problematic for me. I have heard others recommend just removing the upper control arm for even easier install. Your friend is partly right. If you don't take caution when removing the knuckle you can destroy the bushing. With the rough country lift it tells you to tap the upper tie rod mount with a hammer until it pops loose. Make sure the nut is still on so the whole upper ball joint doesn't drop and then damage your rotors and brake hardware. I used and upper ball joint puller and it popped right out and I was almost not ready for that. Just be careful and you will be good to go.

dane.p 06-26-2012 09:01 PM

What if i just put a couple of pillows down under the rotor to prevent it slamming down haha

mTBrunner83 06-26-2012 09:12 PM

I would recommend not allowing it to drop. There are cables that if given enough stress you could pull off. Take a look at the hardware and you will see what I am talking about. Always safest to be as gentle as possible. Especially if you wish to drive it afterwards.

dane.p 06-26-2012 09:15 PM

should i place a floor jack under it then? and release it slowly??

mTBrunner83 06-26-2012 09:22 PM

What you are going to find is the upper A-arm is going to be stuck to the ball joint even after you unscrew the nut down the thread a bit. You either need to hit right above the upper a-arm with a hammer or get a ball joint puller to seperate from the joint. I seriously doubt it is just going to fall without force. If you leave the nut threaded up on the bolt it will drop on the bolt. Then you can gently pull it off the upper a-arm without allowing it to just drop down from it's full height.

mTBrunner83 06-26-2012 09:23 PM

Having it jacked up is not going to help in the release and once it is released the arm is going to fall towards you.

dane.p 06-26-2012 09:48 PM

i will be able to get it right back in right??

mTBrunner83 06-26-2012 09:55 PM

That is where the jack will help you. It's not as easy as just lifting pushing into place. You will have to pull it up to the upper control arm. If you have to people that is best. I did it on my own and that was fun. Takes a bit of finesse to hold to the upper a-arm and thread the nut through the bolt while holding them together.

dane.p 06-27-2012 09:22 AM

Thanks! ill try not to destroy my ball bearings or anything like that............