Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   That Diesel is Expensive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/that-diesel-is-expensive-43934.html)

BobT 06-27-2012 06:30 AM

That Diesel is Expensive

I've had the diesel Grand Cherokee for two months now. Up untill then I have had just one speeding fine in a couple of decades. I now have two in two months. The diesel just flies and so effortlessly you really have to keep an eye on the speedo.

scarps 06-27-2012 06:39 AM

I'm hearing you Bob. At 110/120 you feel like you're doing 80. But at 140+ you know you're moving. Yeah!!!!!!

Swampy 06-27-2012 06:39 AM

Re: That Diesel is Expensive

Backcharge Jeep.

This thing should have a sticker somewhere that says "Warning - May Cause Speeding Fines."

savvas 06-27-2012 05:35 PM

Bob ... When's the last time someone called you a hoon? :D

At least the fuel economy offsets the speeding fines a bit.

That CRD is seriously quiet. Last Sunday we went out for lunch and we drove passed a guy walking his dogs, and parked a bit further up. He came up to us and it turns out that he is a KJ owner thinking of upgrading and he's not convinced about the CRD being worth the extra dough over the V6. The biggest impression it made on him is how quiet it is and that it sounds nothing like a diesel engine normally does. Then we talked about the fuel economy etc. I think he's sold on it.

So I reckon I should get a spotters fee if he buys one.

savvas 06-29-2012 02:56 AM

I was driving along Southern Cross Drive today with the music a little bit loud. Just cruising along and I happened to glance down at the speedo. I was doing 105 in an 80 zone. Definitely something to watch out for.

And I wondered why everyone else was going so slow. :rolleyes:

Swampy 07-01-2012 07:29 PM

Yesterday, we took a trip from Perth to Cervantes, let the kids have a look at the Pinnacles then back to Lancelin and then Perth.

One time on the way back, pulled out to overtake a boat and caravan in one go. As I was pulling back in to my lane, checked the speedo and I was doing 150ks. The power of the CRd's is effortless. If I hadn't of checked, I would have thought I would have only been doing 130ks.

On the return trip of about 550kms, that included some beach driving etc, the CRD still returned 8.3 L/100km.

Can't complain about that.

zzkazu 07-12-2012 06:00 AM

I'm in the same boat not a speeding fine in 8 years and now 2 since I've owned the GC...

WK2OverlandII 08-10-2012 10:49 AM

How much more does the diesel engine option cost? Also Does it come with Quadra-Drive?

Clubby360 08-10-2012 02:16 PM

hi,in australia an extra 5000 dollar option and does not come with quadra drive that is an extra as well unless you buy the top of the range overland with quadradrive and hemi as standard and opting for the diesel instead for same price ,worth every cent over the v6,more responsive than the v8 with better economy than the 6.

GSeb213 08-13-2012 11:57 PM

With only 3 demerit pts left, I'll have to be careful with my new GC CRD....

scarps 08-14-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSeb213 (Post 670186)
With only 3 demerit pts left, I'll have to be careful with my new GC CRD....

As I have the Laredo model (no satnav), I've purchased an 'off the shelf' navman set up with speed reminder. While I've managed to avoid a fine to date, it's far too easy to drive over the speed limit without realising.

John47 08-14-2012 05:32 AM

Although I haven't yet clocked up any fines in our 16k of ownership, I have to say each time I drive the thing I am very concious of how it very easily gathers speed, whether being encouraged or not with the pedal.
I've resorted to using cruise control round town so I can watch the road and not the speed readout.