Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   2010 WK - Is more power, better mpg, less noise possible? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/2010-wk-is-more-power-better-mpg-less-noise-possible-4396.html)

CougarCruiser 11-30-2009 10:56 AM

2010 WK - Is more power, better mpg, less noise possible?

Love the WK... Would love it more if it had more power, 1-2mpg better, and was a little quieter out the rear...

Is there any combination of intake/tuner/exhaust that can get me there?

Seems most people go for one of the 3 options... but can I have all 3?

5.7Unlimited 11-30-2009 11:09 AM

Re: 2010 WK - Is more power, better mpg, less noise possible?

First Welcome to the forum!!, Second yes you can! I think that even with a cold air intake and exhaust alone you could see a 2 mpg increase and a tuner could make it slightly better but im not sure some tuner guys will chime in on that one.

White WK Swagga 11-30-2009 11:12 AM

Welcome! I think you're the first person here to want to make the jeep quiter. LOL MPG's I would say change the intake....
Power I'd say tune....

Knightrider03m 11-30-2009 11:21 AM

You can make it more powerful more noise. I don't know about the WKs but I have found that no matter what you do to your car, your MPG is going to remain the same. The only thing you can do there is lay off the gas which is a very hard thing to do (at least for me).

DJ BoNiOmArIo 11-30-2009 11:43 AM

The above suggestions are good to do.

Tires play a big role ... keep them above 35 psi for better mpg, i have to advise the ride would get stiffer, also keep them rotated every oil change, don't carry a lot of dead weight in the car.

Change ur spark plugs, transmissions fluid, axle fluid, flush and re-fill coolant ,,, all these will make it run smoother quicker and save $$$ down the road lol

08Hemi 11-30-2009 01:59 PM

From what others did (uuhhmm Joe Elvis uuhhmm) and made theirs really loud (uhhmm Hemijon uhmmm) I decided to go a different route. I went with a Borla and I am VERY happy. NO interior freeway noise from 70-85mph, and she opens up very nicely at WOT. I have an AIRAID intake, but that is def louder than stock...I do get about 1-2 mpg better than when it was stock...over 250 miles home on Sat night I got 21.6 mpg @ 75-80 mph the whole way!!

CougarCruiser 11-30-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 108722)
From what others did (uuhhmm Joe Elvis uuhhmm) and made theirs really loud (uhhmm Hemijon uhmmm) I decided to go a different route. I went with a Borla and I am VERY happy. NO interior freeway noise from 70-85mph, and she opens up very nicely at WOT. I have an AIRAID intake, but that is def louder than stock...I do get about 1-2 mpg better than when it was stock...over 250 miles home on Sat night I got 21.6 mpg @ 75-80 mph the whole way!!

So, Borla might be a good way to go in giving a good boost in power, without having the noise...

Is Magnaflow definitely not the way to go? I read along the way that they use a smaller diameter pipe? Would that help at all?

If the AIRRAID intake isn't quite right for the job because of the noise -- does anyone make a better one?

I don't think Volant makes one that will fit - do they?

robpp 11-30-2009 02:06 PM

i suggest an exhaust that has a resonator, which borla doesnt have. I also hear, on the hemi, that the magnaflow drops the pipe size down smaller than stock (might only be 4.7 will look into that agian),

so i would try the gibson.

Bslagle05 11-30-2009 02:09 PM

Rob, I believe the Magnaflow catback on the 5.7L's have the same pipe diameter as stock... I believe.

08Hemi 11-30-2009 02:13 PM

I did remove my resonator...but like i said I have no BS interior noise on the freeway with my Borla. I think all intakes will give you a louder noise from the engine...so IDK which one is the best for you. Volant does make an intake for the 5.7, and it is an enclosed housing for the intake filter so common sense would lead me to think it would be quieter, but I cannot vouch for that.

What is the main reasoning for you to keep it quiet? That answer alone may help some of the guys on here answer your question more precisely!

5.7Unlimited 11-30-2009 02:32 PM

Plus you've got the redesigned 5.7L being that your jeep is 2010 so its better than most of ours to begin with power and mileage wise.

I heard the volant is one of the quieter intakes because it does have a top on it like the stock intake.

pjs1965 11-30-2009 03:51 PM

IMO, it's hard to make the HEMI quieter than it already is on the WKs (except the SRT) without losing some power. At some point, it's an inverse relationship (power to sound) since you need good airflow to make more power and anything that quiets down the sound will impede airflow.