Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   Max Tow Package (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/max-tow-package-43960.html)

Pynenut 06-27-2012 02:32 PM

Max Tow Package

Does anyone know if you can get the Max Tow Package added later to a jeep if the build does not have on ot it already and the cost?

It looks like a $320 option but my build on the altitude edition may not have it and i will need one to tow my Quad.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk and a budweiser can

refluga 08-20-2014 07:01 PM

Re: Max Tow Package

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pynenut (Post 648885)
Does anyone know if you can get the Max Tow Package added later to a jeep if the build does not have on ot it already and the cost?

It looks like a $320 option but my build on the altitude edition may not have it and i will need one to tow my Quad.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk and a budweiser can

I'll qualify this first....I don't own a JKU yet but I think I've read/researched enough to give you an solid answer to your question.

1) The OEM "Max Tow Package" includes:
a) 2" trailer hitch
b) 4-pin wiring harness
c) wiring harness bracket welded onto the hitch
d) 75W-140 gear oil (instead of 80W-90 for non-tow)
e) Trailer Sway Control built into the traction control system
f) 3.73 gears on non-Rubi
e) "debatable" if the springs have a slightly higher rate
f) BOTH JK tow and JK non-tow have tranny coolers installed

2) Dealer can definitely install the hitch but it looks like most people just get an aftermarket hitch for <$100 (MOPAR (known for best looking, Rugged Ridge (best priced), Hidden Hitch (good welds, hitch sticks out further than the rest), CURT (good welds) ) and an $15 wiring harness that connects inline to your rear tail light (they are all similar but MOPAR seems to be the best for only slightly more $. Install is only 4 bolts. Some say you need to drop the exhaust hangers to make it easier, some say to drop the bumper (6 bolts) to be able to get the nuts on but the majority say it's a tight squeeze to thread the bolts between the bumper and the frame rail and if needed needle nose pliers work to hold the bolt. The alternative is to buy one of the hitches listed above that has the bolt welded onto the hitch. NOTE: Most (I believe the MOPAR and Rugged Ridge do) of these hitches do NOT have a welded on bracket for the 4-pin wiring harness connector.

3) Something to keep in mind....a lot of the aftermarket bumpers have a built in hitch but it appears a lot of those are listed as "accessory" hitches and maybe just for legal reasons are not officially approved for towing. I'd consult the specific bumper manufacture. Considering the JK has 2000 lb k towing and the JKUR 3500 lb limit I'd think the aftermarket bumper w/ hitch would be find. This is the route I'm going.

WaltA 08-22-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refluga (Post 1071214)

d) 75W-140 gear oil (instead of 80W-90 for non-tow)
e) Trailer Sway Control built into the traction control system

Those I didn't know about. Thanks. :thumbsup:

RacecarBMW 08-30-2014 03:48 PM

Are you 100% sure about point D) and as for E) I hear its automatically activated once the wiring harness is connected.

WaltA 08-30-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacecarBMW (Post 1077732)
Are you 100% sure about point D) and as for E) I hear its automatically activated once the wiring harness is connected.

For the first E), how would anything detect that a trailer wiring harness is connected? Most aftermarket wiring simply taps off the taillights.